Possibility of Upgrade at Berlin Radisson Blu

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by LAM, Apr 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Getting ready to make a reservation at the Berlin Radisson Blu. I am a Gold due to having the CC Visa. Should I book a regular room at 44,000 points and hope for an upgrade to an executive room or just book the executive room at 66,000 points to guarantee I get the room? I could live with the regular room (I can stay almost anywhere and be happy as long as the room is clean and I have my own bathroom). I have heard that upgrades are better at many of the CC hotels in Europe.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the answer and would love to hear about upgrades to executive floor rooms with CC in Europe, too.

That said, I don't think I would pay 22,000 points more for it. At 0.2 cents/point that's $44. More if you value your CC points higher.

edekba and flyingdawg like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    with that quote ... i think you've answered your own question :) If you can live w/the regular room then why burn more points for an upgraded room? 22k is 50% of your next free day at the same hotel, and for what a room that is slightly larger? Yet you're okay with the stnd room?

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to rain on your parade however as a Gold I never received a club room upgrade.

This being said- I would not spend an extra 22K points on this under any circumstances.

22K points is a lot of money for what is essentially a couple of beers (maybe), a few snacks, a brioche, and an espresso (what you will get in a day in the executive lounge). This hotel by the way is great and management are also very nice. Enjoy the fish tank!

5. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for everyone's opinions. I will probably go with the regular room and just see if an upgrade happens. The regular room means we may also stay an extra night in Berlin.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    An extra night in Berlin is an extra night of fun! Enjoy.

edekba likes this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or get the credit card and save up a bit and stay 3 nights for the price of 2

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whatever the means- an extra night in Berlin is always worth it.

edekba likes this.
  9. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Already have the card so it will be the 5th night free instead of the 4th. I am using my using my Visa right now for all of my uncatagorized spend. May also be staying two nights in one of the Prague Radisson/Park Inn hotels on the same trip.

edekba likes this.
  10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you hotel hopped; wouldn't the cost the same to stay 6 nights (2paid/1free twice) vs 4p/1f?

11. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the suggestion. there are alot of CC options in Berlin.

edekba likes this.
  12. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    and if you dont insist on staying @ the RB i think you could get somewhere that is half the price of the RB... thus pay for 2 nights @ RB get 6 nights at a Park Inn or something :)

13. adelantando

adelantando Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed there last October with a street view. The balcony doors are incredibly solid so there was very little, if any street noise. The location is perfect for walking to the museums and the breakfast buffet is not to be missed.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  14. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't that the 22k extra pts also gets you 2 breakfast? It doesn't have any value to me, but for some (e.g. my mother-in-law) it can worth a lot - she is willing to pay EUR 22 for one breakfast in a hotel that she is staying at.