Positive Passenger Bag Match

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by EyeOnTheSkies, Jul 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    How does positive passenger bag match work for a domestic segment on an international itinerary? For example, DEN-IAD-FRA. If I am ticketed on the 3 PM to IAD and instead get on the 1 PM to IAD, can my bag travel on the 3 as it is a domestic flight...or must there be a positive match because this is an int'l itinerary.

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    sUA wouldnt allow to make such a change unless there were more than 2 hours between the time of the change and the time of departure so that the checked bags would be able to be transferred. So if you wanted to change to the 1pm, your change would need to be confirmed before 11am.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you tell them when checking in that you are trying to go standby on the earlier DEN-IAD flight they can tag the bags appropriately. If you just check bags without telling them that you want to go standby I'd expect it to not work as well.

EyeOnTheSkies, genemk2 and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Technically this isn't allowed by the rules unless it's the airline's fault for moving you. IROPS or VDB/IDB means the bag can travel without you but otherwise a voluntary change by the customer results in the bag having to come off your scheduled flight. Definitely some agents out there who are too lazy to call down and have your bag moved and will allow the flight change but they are technically not following the rules and most won't do it.

-RM