Portland - to day trip or not

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by SirRagnar, Apr 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all

I got a weekend in Portland, OR in early June that I need to kill somehow (arrival from CPH-ORD-PDX Friday at 10.35pm).

I am considering what to do for Saturday or Sunday before I need to work in Portland on Monday.

I am considering 6 options:

1) Stay in Portland and enjoy whatever there is to joy there (I've been once for a very short trip and didn't see much).

2) Take a trip from Sat-Sun to LAS and experience Vegas (never been there) - downside is that none of my airline alliances fly there direct (only Southwest and Horizon)

3) Take a trip from Sat-Sun to Vancouver. I have only been to Canada once and it was the other side (Quebec). Is Vancouver worth a one-night visit?

4) Take a trip somewhere else to catch an MLB match - suggestions?

5) Take a trip to Seattle perhaps. I have never been there.

6) Alternative trips or ideas this forum might suggest :)

I am not a fan of museums and the likes, but I like culture (not the fine culture, but the culture of experiencing something else - e.g. Las Vegas would be cultur for me) and I also like the nature.

I am not that familiar with USA and Canada so I would appreciate any suggestions - and I mean any, I am open to almost everything that can be done in 2 days. (I have a girlfriend so nothing like that :) )

Thanks in advance!

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I had a weekend in Portland, I would rent a car and drive through the Columbia River Gorge and enjoy the sights, especially the waterfalls again. Hint: google columbia river gorge and look at some of the pictures - spectacular! Also, June is a great time, weatherwise to be outdoors in western Oregon. :)

JennB, Bay Pisco Shark and SirRagnar like this.
  3. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    That looks truly awesome. That should bring me near Mt. Hood also, no? Is that mountain easily climbable? (read walkable)

4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Mt. Hood is definitely viewable (and beautiful) as you go up the gorge. I've never hiked it, so someone else will have to chime in on that. I did stay in the town of Hood River, but it's been so long, I've forgotten the name of the hotel.

SirRagnar likes this.
  5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Of course, there is also the option of a weekend at the ocean, which is also only a couple hour drive away. I wouldn't try to do both in a weekend, but you do have the choice of the mountains or the ocean from Portland. Hmm, lots of beautiful memories surfacing from my times in that part of the world, glad I'll be in Seattle this summer. :)

SirRagnar likes this.
  6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would be my first choice (the coast would be my second, but then I've lived near the ocean my entire life).

7. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys, I think you have sold it to me. Being from Denmark I'm surrounded by ocean so that's not so new to me, but the gorges are. Just need to figure out if I can drive without a stick gear then :)

Any particular place on the gorge I should drive to? I am thinking just doing a day trip and return by night, but perhaps it is better to take a night in the gorge somewhere?

8. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are by yourself, a day trip is plenty. I've done it maybe 4 or 5 times. Particularly interesting is the dam and fish hatchery. This way, you'll be back in the city at night and can go out, etc. If you were with someone special, a night out there might be nice. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

SirRagnar and miles and smiles like this.
  9. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I agree that a day trip is enough. There is a lot to see and enjoy within 50 or so miles from Portland. You don't need to drive the whole length. Multonomah Falls is the biggest waterfall (620 feet) and the top attraction. Other waterfalls are also wonderful. Just be sure to get out and hike.
    In June, sunset is around 9 pm PDT, so you have a lot of daylight to explore. Then you can spend your other day in Portland.
    If you search "Columbia River Gorge", you will find lots of maps, guides, pictures, etc. Or you can just wait until you are in the gorge and just explore. It's hard to go wrong around such spectacular scenery. And since it's a National Scenic Area, there are plenty of signs and info on the roads to guide you.

SirRagnar likes this.
  10. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again, guys. Your advice is valuable.

I am by myself so I'll take your advice and just go for the day. I am looking much forward to exploring the gorge. I so often go for business travels and just experience the cities. I think this is the first time I'll venture outside of a city I've visited for a business trip.

If anyone is in Portland in the evening of Saturday the 4th June give me a beep if you want to meet up for a drink or a beer - I'm buying, if I get back alive from the gorge :)

11. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, be careful. It is full of gorgeous creatures and sights. Some of them are drop dead gorgeous. :D

SirRagnar likes this.
  12. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I do NOT advise a swan dive from the top of Multonomah Falls :D

[​IMG]

SirRagnar and Gardyloo like this.
  13. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note there will still be 3m+ of snow on the ground around Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood. It's been a very wet and cold spring, so the snow-melt at higher elevations will be delayed. That's good news on the waterfall front, of course.

A couple of photos to further make the point -

The Gorge:

[​IMG]

Lattourelle Falls - another waterfall along the "historic" Gorge Highway

[​IMG]

Mount Hood from the Hood River Valley

[​IMG]

14. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    It truly is beautiful nature you have there. Thanks!

15. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wrong Portland! I thought you were talking about Maine. :p

16. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Some beautiful day trips can be had from Portland, ME, too!

17. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    So glad I checked this thread. I'll be in Portland in 3 weeks and am now planning a day trip drive around the Gorge. I had it on my list of things to do but hadn't really planned it all the way through. I can't wait!