Portland Embasy Suites Downtown

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by giggs, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Decided at the last minute to stay at this property as I didn't want to have a commute from the airport in the morning for some meetings. As usual, I booked with my Hilton Surpass Card via the website, which was easy and painliess and the extra bonus points (500) always are nice to earn.

Used valet service upon arrival, which was prompt and courteous. I did declined the bell hop services as I only had a single bag this time. Checkin was easy and efficient, especially since I was the only at the check-in desk. The building is a historical landmark and the lobby is very open and has an excellent steakhouse (Prime) off to one side.

Upgrade was granted as I have Diamond Status thanks to my CC spending (shout out to the US Mint). Interestingly enough the room I was upgraded to was the same one I received last time I stayed here. Room 603, which is a corner 2 room suite with a view to the Northeast. It includes a full dining room table that can seat 8 people and now has a 42" HD Flat Panel installed. It brought back memories of a stay in the same room about 5 years ago, which ended with a party of about 20 in the room playing beer pong at 2AM, but I digress.

Upon entering the room, I was greated with an overwheling smell of cleaning products, it seemed as if they overdid it a bit on the glass table in the entry. Other than that, the room was clean and tastefully decorated. Sorry to say I didn't take any pics, but now that I have decided to start putting trip reports together, I will make it a point.

In my opinion, one of the best things about this hotel is two local institutions that are located within a couple of block: Stumptown Coffee and Voodoo Doughnuts. If you stay at this hotel, you must go to both, with no exceptions. Stumptown has a great variety of coffee/tea/ambiance that really shows the quirky side of Portland. Just down the street is another example of the unique part of Portland: Voodoo, they have a maple bar with bacon that is to die for, along with a whole host of other amazing treats. It is a must see, must have part of your trip, and especially since it's a short walk from the Embassy.
  2. Steve

Steve Silver Member

Location is great, but as someone who lived in Portland for a long time, not someplace on my top choices...nothing warm about that place, especially with all the other alternatives that exist in Portland