Porter set to purchase C-series planes from Bombardier

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | North America' started by canucklehead, Apr 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is a very interesting story about PD potentially buying C-series jets from BBD.

Why interesting?
    From what I understood, the Billy Bishop airport in Toronto, Porter's hub, prohibits commercial jets under the Tripartite agreement between the Toronto Port Authority (TPA, which owns/runs the airport), Federal government and municipal government (Toronto). It would be a big change in policy. (and one the islanders will not like).

Second, BBD has not had many sales of the C-Series, certainly not as many as Airbus and Boeing's comparable NG planes. 12 firm and 18 options are a step in the right direction for the plane's survival.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013...News&feedType=RSS&feedName=companyNews&rpc=43

YULtide likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The jet prohibition is based on noise issues. Supposedly the CS100 has a similar noise profile to the Q400s in use today and they are going to make that claim as they try to get the changes approved. We'll see if that happens.

3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    YULtide likes this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I lived in YUL, I often flew PD to YTZ. This announcement is a game-changer, as it would let me fly YEG-YTZ. It's still three years away, but a very interesting announcement.

More detail here: https://www.porterplans.com/

I flew Porter YTZ-YUL in February and was reminded of why I loved it before relocating to YEG.

For those who have never flown Porter before, here's what you get:

-Free shuttle to/from a downtown hotel (Royal York) from/to the ferry;
    -Ferry to the Billy Bishop airport on the island
    -comfortable waiting lounge for everyone with wifi, business centre and complimentary snacks;
    -snacks, beer and wine on-board;
    -a customer-friendly attitude from everyone.

Porter also offers automatic check-in. Not just on-line, but automatic. They send you your boarding pass by e-mail with no need to do anything but receive it. I was amazed.

The new planes will give much better range, and will also introduce a new business class by the look of things. Looking forward to flying Porter again!

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.