Portable Hotel Rooms

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by flyingdawg, Sep 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Snoozebox, a UK based company, has introduced the concept of portable hotel rooms. Storage containers are divided into four rooms. They are desinged to be moved from one event to another as needed or to increase occupancy of traditional properties when demand increases. They claim to already have been utilized for the London Olymipics, car races and similar events. Anyone have a stay report to post??

http://www.snoozebox.com/home/index.html#welcome

sobore, 8MiHi, nmt12 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was used in the 1970's in the Oil Field Boom Times. Basic lodging with few amenities. Somewhat lower cost than the standard lodging but the quality was lower as well.

Good if you just need to spend one or two nights. Really sucks for longer times. (at least remembering my stays from the 1970's)

Also, was used quite a bit along the Alaskan Highway in the 1970's too. One place had a step ladder as the steps into the room. Cheap but not luxurious. No matter how they try to portray it.

These are, of course, from 40 years ago. So YMMV

(Late note: The portables were also "echo-y" Because of the construction, it seemed like TV or Music or any other noises had a pronounced Echo)

8MiHi and flyingdawg like this.
  3. nmt12

nmt12 Member

Status Points:
    This a pretty cool idea...I would spend a few days there.

8MiHi and flyingdawg like this.
  4. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, nmt12 !

8MiHi likes this.
  5. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a company called Oil States that does a great job of setting up hotels in remote oil fields in places like Alberta and North Dakota. Their buildings are re-usable and portable. Those who have stayed in them indicate that they are higher quality accomodations than any of the earlier iterations of container suites. I had heard that they might have been at the Vancouver Olympics.

flyingdawg and Mapsmith like this.
  6. nmt12

nmt12 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks FD! I am happy to be here. :D

flyingdawg and 8MiHi like this.