Port Douglas Food

Discussion in 'Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific' started by opushomes, Jun 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. opushomes
    Original Member

opushomes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia: Since Trip Advisor has not bothered to post a review, here is our favorite dinner restaurant. 2 visits during a 4 day visit.

Bucci 41 Macrossen Street (the main drag) 07 4099 6364

Located near where one makes the turn from the main road on the left side, this Italian spot is execellent. Seafood pastas are al dente and extremely tasty. The highlight starter is capesante, six scallops very tastefully prepared on the 1/2 shell. Pricing is reasonable in expensive Australia. Seating is available on the edge of the sidewalk so that one may observe the passing visitors or further inside the pretty much open air restaurant. Parking is available on the street.

Wine is competively priced. Beware that until 7 p.m. they have a special children's menu and as a result adults can be overrun with little kids. If you prefer a more peaceful environment, book from 7:30 on.

And our favorite spot for breakfast (brunch)

Cafe Fresco Macrossen Street located on the corner near the Bakery and 2 pizza places Open air on both sides of the sidewalk on the side street.

Excellent breakfast including Eggs Benedict and omelets with real ham (not chopped up or cubed). Great Turkish bread toast. Full range of coffee drinks. Pricing is less than other places and of much higher quality. Cappuchinos could be larger.

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks, been awhile since I was there, but standouts I do recall Nautilus being excellent. Loved On the Inlet.

3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I enjoyed Salsa Bar and Grill. Fresh food and a nice place to view the sunset. I think I ended eating there 3 times!

Nautilus was good also but much more expensive than Salsa

4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't remember where we ate when were have been there as it has been a few years.

However one thing I do remember is the problem we had with mozzies nibbling at our ankles when we sat outside. So might be worth taking what season it is before dining outside.

5. edison
    Original Member

edison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Best is to get some mozzie sprays before going out for a night at Port Douglas!

GoodBoy likes this.