Poor UA Mileage Redemption Value with EVA

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Jun 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently came across this issue while trying to book tickets on EVA with UA miles from the US to SE Asia. Apparently, there is a separate reward chart and instead of the expected 65k for coach, 120k biz, 135k first, I learned that they only offer coach at 110k.

This is a horrible value and I'm wondering if anyone has heard whether this reward chart will adjust to the normal chart when EVA joins *A in the future?

2. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once they officially join *A, it'll be at the *A award levels. The EVA awards are a carryover from CO's ability to redeem for EVA, independent of the alliance.

Besides, EVA's current C product is pretty bad. I'd only really fly them in Y or Y+.

3. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of my friends used to travel to Taipei about once a month, traveling exclusively on EVA. He loved their biz class, and preferred that over UA's. I've never flown EVA and therefore don't have a reference for comparison, but since those are two completely opposite viewpoints, I'm curious to know what made it bad in your opinion?

4. lightangel

lightangel Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I remember correctly, last time I was in C on EVA, the seat does not go horizontal. It was flat at an angle.

jetsetboy likes this.
  5. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was this a long time ago? EVA's C is not lieflat, whereas UA C on the 747 is.

EVA's Y+ seat is on-par with US domestic F. As a revenue EVA flier, I find Y+ a much better value than C.

jetsetboy and Wandering Aramean like this.
  6. lotso-bear
    Original Member

lotso-bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to this blog post, he booked a one-way on EVA for 32.5K UA miles for SFO-TPE. He also posted it in this FT thread. However, it appeared to take several calls to find an agent who knew to use the better chart.

7. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect it was a mistake. He originally booked a *A award and then did a change via the EVA desk. I suspect that the award should have been repriced using the EVA chart, but the agent didn't do it for whatever reason.

jetsetboy likes this.
  8. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh ok thanks. Yeah, that would drop it down a level in my book too.

9. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was within the past year. I remember him saying how good the service was and how pretty the young flight attendants were, so maybe that's what did it for him. Lol

Regarding Y+ on EVA, if it's on par with domestic F then that does sound like a good value

unavaca likes this.
  10. yunicorner
    Original Member

yunicorner Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called United for JFK -> TPE award travel on EVA and they quoted 65k for coach and 120k for biz. I was told a first award was not possible. Anyone hear differently about first? Do you think they took the first redemption away because of the new Royal Laurel class?