Poor Service and theft at SFO Airport Hertz

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by Pnavas, Dec 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Pnavas

Pnavas Silver Member

Status Points:
    When returning my rental car at the Hertz SFO a female agent drove my rental car away without my approval and before I had finished retrieving my personal items. I had left my VERY expensive brand new glasses in a case on the floor behind the driver’s seat. I chased after the car but Hertz agent did not stop. I immediately notified another Hertz agent who called to have the car returned so I could retrieve my glasses and asked to speak to the Manager. After waiting 20 minutes the car was returned to the drop off location and had been washed and cleaned and my glasses case was there, but the glasses had been removed! After 30 minutes of additional waiting, the manager returned to tell me that no one had stolen my glasses and that Hertz was not responsible for items lost, stolen, or left in the car. That was it, end of his cooperation. Anyone else had such a poor service experience??

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's why I don't leave the keys in the ignition. Hold on to them until you have your items and a drop-off receipt.

It's not likely it was stolen intentionally. I think they were found during cleaning and are probably in lost and found somewhere. Are they prescription lenses? I don't know why someone would steal those. However, the manager probably could have handled it better.

hulagrrl210 and 2soonold like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent point. I try to get all my stuff consolidated and ready when I fill up the car at the gas station before returning the car. They will typically need the key to check the gas and mileage, though.

+10 on the last sentence.

But if the glasses were in a case, and only the glassed disappeared, I don't quite think the glasses themselves made it to lost and found.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't catch that the case was still there. So maybe there was a theft after all.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, that also raises the question -- why did the person who took the glasses leave the case behind? Did it have identifying labels (TrackItBack?) on it that would have put the thief at risk of being caught if the manager had immediately initiated a search?

JetsettingEric and Scottrick like this.
  6. Pnavas

Pnavas Silver Member

Status Points:
    The case had a Company name and logo on it (not a brand but a company), so yes it was definitely identifiable. And yes, the glasses were in there...they were prescription glasses with expensive frames that I had swapped for my prescription sunglasses.

7. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I ditched Hertz years ago due to numerous poor customer service experiences. While I never experienced the kind of theft you did, I was pretty convinced that I had my rental car stolen once in Mexico. When I went to return the car, an employee immediately drove off with it, then the manager claimed their system was down and they were unable to provide a receipt, so basically I had no proof that I turned the car in. Maybe shame on me for assuming the worst, but I was convinced some dude in a yellow shirt with no name tag and his amigo had just stolen my car. When I asked him how I was supposed to prove that I even returned the car and in good condition if case there was any sort of problem, he laughed at me and said, "Oh, you just give them my name and you'll be ok." :confused: Um, ok...

2soonold and Mrs. Gargoyle like this.
  8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    not with a rental car company thankfully. Question I have is will you still use Hertz?

2soonold likes this.
  9. Pnavas

Pnavas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope.

10. Kyamane59

Kyamane59 New Member

Status Points:
    My family and I dropped our Hertz rental off at Tampa Airport on July 26, 2015, it was whisked away before we could barley get our bags out. We notified them immediately of the loss of my husband iPad with a zag hard cover and keyboard. It was in the front of the van on the floor between the seats. Funny how it never showed up after cleaning. I think they are thieves and I will never use them again. Who ever has it though can't get into it because we remotely locked it, and if they try to go on line it will play a nasty little sound and lock. They have not to this date attempted to go online and Hertz only will give two week to look for it. We have use Dollar before and lost things and they always called and returned them in the past. Anyone who uses Hertz, beware and always keep the keys with you, until you have done a complete sweep of the car.