[Poll] What is the value of a SWU?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by alpinesoccer, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

If you could sell/purchase SWUs, how much would a SWU be worth to you

Poll closed Mar 17, 2011.
  1. $0 - They are worthless to me

22.2%
  2. <$100 I don't see a use for them as I get upgraded all the time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $100-$500 They have some inherent value and I try to use them every year

33.3%
  4. $500-$1000 They are very valueable and I schedule my overseas travel to utilize them

27.8%
  5. $1000+ Worth their weight in gold!!!

16.7%
  1. alpinesoccer
    Original Member

alpinesoccer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I work in Africa and one thing that just happened to me is that my company downgraded my airfare TATL from Z class to B class. This created a conundrum for me as I am used to the nice seats up front. :( But it did give me a chance to use SWU/pay for upgrades.
    For return airfare to the US my corporate travel department game me two options if I wanted to fly Biz Class:
    1. pay $550 for the difference in the B fare basis to the J fare basis :: LOS-ATL-JFK/JFK-CDG-LOS
    or
    2. use my last two SWU to upgrade from B to Z:: LOS-ATL-JFK/ORF-DTW-LHR-AMS-LOS
    (this is the only route I could fine that had Z availibilty)
    This got me thinking and I know it is a loaded question with many things to consider so I will write it as clearly as possible.

If you were offered the chance to purchase/sell your SWU's, how much would a SWU be worth to you?

And as a follow up question:: If Delta made SWU's transferable only through them and for a fee, would you do it?

P.S. I ended up taking option 2 due to the fact that I know I will make PM this year and get more SWUs and I have no additional travel planned where I would use a SWU.

2. DisneyDude
    Original Member

DisneyDude Active Member

Status Points:
    You are lucky, all our international travel is cheapest fare only, oh yes we do get a $500 upgrade allowance. However, M fares are always much more than $500 over the cheaper fares, at least when I fly. Even then I would have to use my own miles for the actual upgrade.

3. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    But a lot of companies don't have that policy that is why Delta does. I have a relative that just got back from his twice yearly trip to Japan in paid J.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I'm pretty happy with nontransferable SWUs on DL. To me, upgrade availability when I book is very important and I do not want to play the SWU lottery and wait list game.

5. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too. Except that I pay my own way, as there is no way my work would pay for FC or J.

Y,B,M fare have gone up way too much lately. But I have used all my SWU/PMUs from 2009. And I selected PMUs for my Choice benefit for 2010. Still sitting on the 2011 choices...

6. alpinesoccer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am pretty happy with the non-transferable SWU too and love to lock in the upgrade at booking. I just wish I could use my friends 6 SWU's that he will never use since he doesn't travel outside the company paid travel.

I would find it hard to purchase a Y/B/M fare and then upgrade on my own. But luckily since corporate pays for Y/B/M fares then I will gladly use it. (Yes, I know I am lucky, but one of the entices to come work in Africa was that it would be Biz Class)

secretsea18 likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why does your friend select 6 SWUs if he knows that he won't use them? He could pick miles or a giftcard instead.

8. alpinesoccer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, the force is not strong with him. [​IMG]
    Some of my coworkers who hit PM/DM on DL didn't even know about choice benefits!!! Crazy I know![​IMG]

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time for some education. Do your duty.

10. alpinesoccer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Aye Aye Captain!

MSPeconomist likes this.
  11. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had to alert my dozen or so coworkers about it. I told them I deserve a finders fee.

12. A PMU to me is generally worth the number of miles it would take to normally upgrade. The fare restrictions make them pretty unappealing in general due to the Y/B/M cost :-/.

13. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

TheMadBrewer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used 4 of my 6 PMNW PU503 upgrade certs -- two on an M fare to HKG during the double/triple promo in 2009 (and M fares were still reasonable -- $1700 ex-LAX) and two on a domestic flight to ATL where only K was available.

Didn't choose them for my 2010 PM Choice Benefit (at the time I didn't expect to be DM)

I just did choose them for one of my 2010 DM Benefits. I booked a business trip to ZRH in AF Premium Voyager ($1400+) and used two to upgrade to Affairs. I have a trip in the fall where I may try this again -- if that option is still available -- and I figured sometime in the year I may have another K domestic flight were I could use a pair.

If the deal with AF is discontinued, I won't select them again. I am self employed and travel on my own dime -- no way to justify $2000-$3000 TATL M fares.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if we use the rule that a DL mile is worth one cent, then we get a monetary equivalent for a SWU, although it will be a range because the miles to upgrade depend on the route and fare (full Y versus other upgradeable fares).

15. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    To me, it's the difference in price between an M fare and an I fare internationally. That's generally a couple of hundred dollars. The M fares I've seen recently aren't too much different in terms of fare rules than I fares.

16. cfischer
    Original Member

cfischer Silver Member

Status Points:
    They WERE useless ... I mean < $10 until the recent changes. Now I can get day-of-departure upgrades and more importantly A-class on AF or W-class on DL is upgradable. I value them @ $100-$200 a piece.