Poll: Tarmac Delays

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by kansaskeith, Nov 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

What was the longest tarmac delay (away from the gate) you've ever had?

1. Less than one hour

37.5%
  2. 1:00 - 1:59

12.5%
  3. 2:00 - 2:59

31.3%
  4. 3:00 - 3:59

12.5%
  5. 4:00 - 4:59

6.3%
  6. 5 hours or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    In light of the $900,000 civil penalty levied today against AMR's American Eagle unit for tarmac delays at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, I thought it would be interesting to ask members what their longest tarmac delays were.

If you don't mind, add in the comments what the airline was (United, Aeroflot, etc.), which airport (Newark Liberty, Princess Juliana/Maho Beach, etc.), whether it was on arrival or departure, whether it was before or after the penalty regulations took effect, and what if anything you received from the airline (money, miles, an apology, a meal, a pair of pajamas, or whatever). Any other relevant comments would be welcome as well.

Kalboz likes this.
  2. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    MIne was right under four hours, on CO at EWR en route to MCI, after an east coast thunderstorm, years before the penalty regulations took effect. Was CO "Gold" at the time, and received a phone call from a customer service rep a couple days later, to apologize.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    US PHL during that Christmas Snowstorm...We got out though, delayed 3 hours at the gate with door closed, then 2 hours on the deicing pad, and finally took off 5.5 hours later...

4. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been extremely fortunate. The only time I've ever spent on a holding pad was about eight years ago at MCO. Sat for about a half an hour and then departed. Otherwise, the only real delays have been after boarding have been waiting in line for a rush hour departure. Although, with Thanksgiving travel next week, maybe my vote will change.

5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of the EWR delay I mentioned above, in fact much of it, was out near the runway waiting for takeoff clearance after the storm cleared and ATC began allowing takeoffs. Still, came to almost 4 hrs. Even though we were waiting to take off, I still considered it "tarmac delay." Was it not?

6. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    Certainly a Tarmac delay. Without looking up the specific rules, if you're on the plane, away from the gate, I consider that a Tarmac delay. It was a nice gesture that you received an apology call from CO.

7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cannot recall anything longer than 1 hour (and not even that long) on any of the AC or *A flights I have been on over the years .. in a variety of airports - but then again I stay away from the NY area if I can help it :)

8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    My longest was around 2 hours in HKG on an SQ flight to SIN. Heavy fog had closed the airport just after we boarded and then when the fog had cleared we had to wait for our turn to push back. Luckilly I was in J, in the prized bulkhead seat on the 77W and the champagne kept flowing, so I didn't exactly mind ;)

lwkatya and Flyer1976 like this.
  9. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    About two and a half hours, on CO at EWR, probably somewhere around 2007 or 2008. Nothing close to that in recent memory, mostly flying AC now, though still often to EWR.

10. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    My personal flight from hell (November 2007):

45 minutes putzing around in YUL and getting deiced 3 times, then being waved off from landing at the last minute in YYZ, diverted to PIT where we sat for about 2.5 hours, back to YYZ, missed connection to HKG. Stuck overnight waiting for the next flight. Then spent 15 hours in a middle seat (having booked aisle) with the AVOD system on the fritz.

A close second last summer:

Sat at the gate in YYZ for about 45 minutes or so due to thunderstorms in YUL (destination). Pushed back. Sat for another 30 minutes. Finally took off. Landed. Sat for 30 minutes or so waiting for a gate.