POLL: Should BA Have Dedicated FIRST-only Cabin Crew?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by oscietra, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Should BA Have Dedicated FIRST-only Cabin Crew?

1. NO

37.5%
  2. YES

62.5%
  1. oscietra
    Original Member

oscietra Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think Qantas has a pool of specially trained cabin crew who work the premium cabins; should BA do the same?

Qantas says that First Class..."dedicated cabin crew are trained in premium service, food preparation and wine knowledge".

On my last BA F flight I had a crewmember who was obviously new to the FIRST service, quite nervous, and although I did what I could to put her at ease I don't think her many (very small) errors would have been well appreciated by a paying customer.

From a cabin crew crew perspective, I would imagine the variety of working in different cabins is appealing and that being shoehorned to always work in F or J (which I suppose is a more demanding role) might be less appealing than we pax might assume..?

What sort of "extra touches" do you expect from a FIRST cabin crew member, over the normal BA service?

Genius1 and EZEIZA like this.
  2. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think there should be a dedicated group of staff who are eligible for service in F (either because they receive additional training, or they are the best at doing the job judged on performance reviews or passenger feedback - rather than just the most senior in length of service). That doesn't mean that they would always need to work in F though, so they could still get some variety in their roles. I would also extend the same principle to ground staff (at checkin or in the lounges).

TuxTraveller, Globaliser and philcape like this.
  3. G-BOAC
    Original Member

G-BOAC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Them getting the branding correct where others don't would be a good start ;)

I voted No. Premium Training should address this, whilst retaining flexibility to allow people to work elsewhere too. There absolutely should be careful premium training but having crew stick to only one cabin (something MF avoids if I understand correctly) is bad - it's good to mix things up a bit for both the crew and pax I think.

4. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually I should have voted no as I think a mix is good and those that get the chance to come from YorJ will try harder. BUT they all need to be trained first and be reminded what the expected standards are.

As for special touches... well it all depends :)

Globaliser and ag51 like this.
  5. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    A mix would seem to be the most sensible. However, on my LH F flight there were two old timers and one female newbie. The newbie was obviously struggling with certain aspects of the service....I had to ask for certain things. Rather than support her the older ones seemed to bully her making her more nervous which was most disappointing to see.

6. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    You cite QF as an example, but my last flight in F on QF was with a crew who were decidely green, and ever so slightly jobsworth.

It was a late takeoff from SIN. I wasn't intending to eat. I simply wanted a bottle of water. While we were still on the ground with the doors open, I went to the galley. The conversation went roughly like this:

The Saintly One: Please can I have a bottle of water.
    Crew member: Sorry, we can only give those out after take off.
    TSO: Really?
    Crew member 2 (wading in): Yes it's a safety requirement.
    TSO: What if I'd brought a bottle on with me?
    Crew member 2: (indignant) Then it would have to be stowed properly.
    TSO: OK, well I promise to stow my bottle properly before take off.
    Crew member 2: (rolls eyes, exhales, yanks one of the carts open and provides me with a bottle of water).

If that's what premuim training does for the crew, I'd vote for leaving things as they are.

7. BA does have CC that are F class trained, and they get priority when it comes to selecting positions at the pre flight briefing

8. Disco Volante
    Original Member

Disco Volante Silver Member

Status Points:
    On a LHR-MIA flight the F purser performed magic tricks with a 50p piece and an empty bottle of burgundy for the DV family. He was really good. I don't know if he had been trained, but this was part of some brilliant and unconventional service. It is one of those things that makes you really appreciate BA.

alex0683de, Globaliser and The Saint like this.
  9. Disco Volante
    Original Member

Disco Volante Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should point out that I was responsible for the burgundy bottle being empty.

alex0683de, TRAVELSIG and G-BOAC like this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would the magic tricks have been as good if not?

11. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It then would be similar to the tv show "Come Fly With Me" first class.

12. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    LH has First Class Crew Training but insiders tell me it's actually career limiting for anyone with purser ambitions...quite strange IMHO.

13. Indeed unless they have been F trained they cannot work the cabin

No No 1000 X No!

I need to move people around if f is quiet or we are pushed elsewhere - it would be far too restricting in terms of manpower availability. Operationally it would be a nightmare

15. Ah sorry PG,

When I was VCCing, I got the impression that if you needed two people to work in F, it was the fact that they had the training was the deciding factor rather than DOJ. I was not saying that if you had 3 crew who had F class training, all 3 would work in F. Sorry for not making myself clear.

xxx

16. trippin_the_rift
    Original Member

trippin_the_rift Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps they were taken back by your witty charm and good looks ;)

17. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

TuxTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that dedicated First-only crew sounds like a bad idea logistically and would likely also be boring for the crew in the long run.

Good premium training as a pre-requisite to working in First is good, but that's already a pre-requisite so all is good :)

18. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Surely that's like saying that it would be boring working in Gordon Ramsey Royal Hospital Road every night and that the staff would be happier if they could do a shift in McDonalds (or the Pizza Express of Club World) every other day?!

Disco Volante likes this.
  19. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think deedicated F crew makes sense. Although I feel bad when I see the Y crew on EK working like Egyptian Slaves with a full Y cabin, business is nearly as bad and the F crew are sitting down (as there isn't anyone travelling in F).

20. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except you?

21. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hardly. I'm down the back with the real people. Most of the time [​IMG]

22. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

TuxTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would hope the staff don't consider the service to be given in the Y cabin to be equivalent to McDonalds service :)

I do see your point, but I do think there are a lot of people that like to have variety and change in the workplace.

Also I think all staff should be flexible to be able to work in all cabins. I believe this would best encourage learning between the more experienced and new crew.