[Poll] Fuel Surcharge on Award Tickets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by JALPak, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Do you think airlines should charge fuel surcharge on award tickets?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. No

51 vote(s)
    96.2%
  3. I don't care

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you think about fuel surcharge on award tickets? Do you think it is reasonable for airlines to charge YQ on top of mileage deductions on award ticket?

2. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely not. It completely kills the insensitive to use miles for economy tickets as usually the YQ is the primary cost on those.
    SK implemented it but changed it back after pressure from among other FT'ers and now they don't charge YQ, only taxes.
    More should follow their lead.

Nicole Blaess-Smith and joesmoe like this.
  3. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    But if regular tickets have YQ, not should award tickets be any different? Unless they change the award redemption chart based on fuel price, they are only charging a fixed price for award tickets. So do you prefer them to change award redemption rate regularly to adjust to the current fuel price?

4. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure that is necessary. They didn't use to charge for YQ and the award priced stayed relatively fixed. SK doesn't change their award prices regularly after they got rid of the YQ again, so it can be done. Of course, SK is suffering financially, but I don't think it is because of this.

5. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I should have asked "If an airlines charges YQ on regular tickets, should they charge it on award tickets too" too late now :(

But what makes award tickets different from regular ones if they charge YQ on regular ones but not awards?

6. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understood it correctly so I don't think it needs re-phrasing :)

SK also charges YQ for regular tickets, it is just award tickets they don't do it anymore.

They are awards, something you earn for being a good customer - there is not much award about it if you are charged heavily for the YQ. Admittedly, you still save a lot on C and F but in Y there is hardly anything to be saved on an award ticket if you also have to pay YQ and taxes.
    It's like winning a price in a contest. I wouldn't expect to have to pay for shipping to receive my price.

7. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    But you may still have to pay for your income tax :p

That's why I prefer using miles on upgrades now. They are better value than Y awards.

8. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I also fail to see any value in Y-awards, especially since they are non-upgradeable.

And yes, income tax may be required, but that is also acceptable to me. This is not something that anybody (except the government) earns on in contrast to shipping costs (or YQ - I doubt they charge only exactly the amount they use on fuels).

Nicole Blaess-Smith and JALPak like this.
  9. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    If a hotel says your award for being a good customer is a half price room, then it's a half price room.

If the hotel says the award is a free room, then you should get a free room.

So long as the airlines that charge a fuel surcharge on their awards make clear whether they're offering a "free room" or a "half price room", I don't see what the problem is. You know in advance, and it's always open to you to choose a different airline if you want to be sure of getting a "free room"-type frequent flyer award.

10. GBM
    Original Member

GBM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel like a turkey voting for no Xmas [​IMG]

Anyway, my opinion is that the fuel surcharge is the biggest scam the airline industry (the European in particular) has found to offset the cost of the the miles award redemptions they "offer".
    If it maintains the availability good and wide open in my programmes (which is not entirely the case) I'm willing to have it.
    Having just said that, this statement reminds me the quote of Benjamin Franklin "He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security" .

GBM

11. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any idea who started this "scam"? :p

Nicole Blaess-Smith and GBM like this.
  12. GBM
    Original Member

GBM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually that is a very interesting question. I'd bet on BA or LH?

Nicole Blaess-Smith and JALPak like this.
  13. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wondered the same thing, too... and also "when"?

I don't know the answer, but a quick bit of searching turned up this old FT thread (well, 2005) regarding LX & LH instituting fuel surcharges ripoff on award tix. The gist of the conversation makes it sound as if this was relatively knew but not yet unheard of at the time.
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/t-488162.html

THere's probably no easy way to know, but I'd be shocked if fuel surcharges ever went down as the price of fuel goes down....in theory when (if) fuel went below the price at which the airlines just "had no choice" but to institute them, the surcharge would go away, but we know that wouldn't happen.

Nicole Blaess-Smith and GBM like this.
  14. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that the 'fuel surcharges' should be part of the base fare, and not added 'taxes.'

Gas should be considered part of the fare of an airplane trip, this is common sense so far as i'm concerned.

Nicole Blaess-Smith likes this.
  15. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Prepare for a shock: They do.

Nicole Blaess-Smith likes this.
  16. Nicole Blaess-Smith
    Original Member

Nicole Blaess-Smith Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have mixed opinions on the matter.
    Whilst I do WISH that we weren't charged I do see how it is necessary.
    But then at the same time there is only a limited number of award tickets per flight/day so why do they charge us?..

JALPak likes this.
  17. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    that happened before. fuel surcharge was gone for a while on JAL (and ANA i believe) when the fuel price was way down

18. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, who's the one MPer who voted yes?

Fuel surcharges should be part of the fare, and thus should be included in the miles paid. Anyone who argues that fuel surcharges are not part of the fare should take a look at the $34 each way base fare currently on offer on Air Canada from NYC-CPH. No one could argue that the "fare" should only be $34 each way.

JALPak likes this.
  19. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only that MPer would know. That's the whole point of having a private vote :)

20. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    The fuel ripoff annoys the heck out of me. DEN-FRA is $350 plus $500 YQ and other taxes and fees. If they say the fare is $850, sure... great.. but when you see $350 then click through and see the final total that is deception at its best (worst? :confused:). To also put YQ on redeemed mileage tickets is even worse. They throw around the "Redeem for a free ticket" line like it is candy, but then they throw YQ at you. I'm not redeeming for a $350 flight.. a $850 we can start talking.

They put on YQ of course because it is outside the structure that they have to pay government taxes on. As much as I hate taxes, this needs to change. That would hopefully reign in some of the more agregious violators (I'm looking at you UA, LH, and BA :mad:).

JALPak likes this.
  21. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, YQ is there more because those on discounts still pay 100% of the fuel surcharge (and they know they do). So an award ticket on these airlines = 100% discount off base fare.

22. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I meant in general it is outside the base fare because then the YQ is not subject to the taxes.

JALPak likes this.
  23. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think almost everyone can agree that award tickets should be FREE.

but fuel charges are here to stay

JALPak likes this.
  24. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    Fuel Surcharge = Devaluation of FF miles. [​IMG]

wombat18 and JALPak like this.
  25. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you think any airline will offer the option of using frequent flier miles to pay the fuel surcharge?