Poll: Do you ever read the hotel room directory?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, May 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Poll: Do you ever read the hotel room directory?

1. YES

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. SOMETIMES

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  4. ONLY WHEN IN A NEW HOTEL

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. TAKE IT WITH ME

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Poll: Do you ever read the hotel room directory?:)

SOURCE: http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/p...aycomTravel-TopStories+(Travel+-+Top+Stories)

WOW! Grounds for debate! Think about our MP POLL TOO!:)

I must confess, that the hotel directory gets rarely "really" read by me personally, but my better half has a much closer look at it wherever we stay. How about you?:)

jetsetboy, cennas and jrp2 like this.
  2. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Room service, pool hours, and TV channel listings (if they don't see sense in putting the channel list where it makes more sense.)

I think that these directories are mostly a waste, and I usually look for a place to put them out of the way. They stifle change, IMO. If the hotel wants to try a change to the room service menu, then it's a greater effort to make that change.

I suspect that the hotel brands like them, though, because it's one way to push brand standards onto a property. These design of these directories help promote the brand -- even if we don't really read them.

uggboy likes this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    :) I tend to always check it out to make sure I'm not missing a availability amenity, or want to know breakfast hours, etc.

circi, jetsetboy, sgkis and 2 others like this.
  4. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually don't read them. However my wife does, usually cover to cover, especially if the room service menu is listed inside.

uggboy and PLUS_1 like this.
  5. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I read it cover to cover and get teased for it!. Have found some amenities that weren't mentioned as complimentary bottle of water each day

sgkis and uggboy like this.
  6. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I read it sometimes - usually when I'm in a new city and want to make sure I haven't missed something in my research. Many times they'll list visitor attractions, and although I know it's chamber of commerce stuff every once in awhile I find something good.
    Other than that, I'll go thru it for TV channels if there's no card by TV.

uggboy likes this.
  7. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I see Northwest Airlines still listed on there (which according to many hotel directories, NW still exists), I know that the directory would most likely be outdated

uggboy likes this.
  8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually skim through it when in a new hotel and especially in a new city and admittedly has always found it an interesting read to find out what the hotel offers.

uggboy likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless it's a hotel like a Hyatt Place or Hampton Inn where everything is pretty much cookie cutter, I do generally look through it to figure out things like placement of ice machines, pool hours, business center options, etc.

uggboy likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I skim through it. I like the information to be there for me in black and white, so that I don't have to rely on my memory for lounge and breakfast hours that were stated at check in. I strongly prefer restaurant, pool, etc. hours to be there so that I don't have to call and sometimes get the pressure to book a table now.

Frequently I discover a hotel service that I otherwise would not think to ask about, such as free pressing of a few items, free mending for an item, early morning coffee service in the lobby, local car service, adaptor plugs/extension cords/chargers from housekeeping, anti allergy machines for rooms, rubber duckies to take home, coffee/juice with wakeup call, etc.

11. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ditto. I fall into the "sometimes read it" category, however I like to know every amenity the hotel offers, so that I can get the most enjoyment out of the hotel stay.

uggboy likes this.
  12. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cover to cover. You never know what might be in there that you'd miss otherwise...

sgkis and uggboy like this.
  13. sgkis
    Original Member

sgkis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, scanning through a hotel directory takes up less effort than what one might think. I'm proud to say I'm pretty adept in picking out the things that stand out. :p For example complimentary DVD rentals from the business center in some hotels!

uggboy likes this.
  14. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Often Hotels pair up with other businesses in the area and offer discounts to the hotel guests. The pamphlets or details are normally hidden in the folder with the hotel directory so it's always good to at least open it and give it a skim. Other than that, it's great reading material when you want some shut eye and you are tired of counting sheep...:p

uggboy likes this.
  15. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ice machine location, gym hours, see how many out of business airlines are on the list, etc.

uggboy likes this.
  16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's there as a reference. If I need info, or will be around long enough for extra random amenities etc. to matter, I'll check it out.

Seems the group here has a much different perspective from the author of the article. Maybe the format could use updating, but the material is useful.

SC Flier likes this.