Poll: Did you ever fly Concorde?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by kansaskeith, Jul 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Did you ever fly Concorde at Mach 1.0 or greater?

1. Yes, British Airways

9.3%
  2. Yes, Air France

7.0%
  3. Yes, Both BA and AF

4.7%
  4. Yes, But neither BA and AF (some other airline or manufacturer demo)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I flew Concorde only on a flight that didn't go supersonic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Nope

79.1%
  1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Over on the AA forum there is a discussion about AA's old (pre-1989) Award Chart which still exists for a few folks who have leftover "non-expiring" miles -- and the chart includes flights on the Concorde (which of course is no longer flying!). The AA discussion also includes a lot of "smart remarks" about how many milepoint users were mere kids in 1989, making us old fogeys feel bad! So, partly to show some of the kids what they may have missed, ha ha ha, I start this poll. Let's see what people's experiences were.

flyingdawg, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew LHR to JFK as an air courier in the 1980s. The flight cost me about $200.

aptraveler, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA flight-attendant crew gift to passengers on landing, Montego Bay, about 1988. Still graces shelf in the guest bedroom. (Flight was from JFK to Jamaica, way out east to avoid waking up Fidel with a boom.)

image-554436241.jpg

aptraveler, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We would've loved to fly with the Concorde.:)

aptraveler and jbcarioca like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very much regret that I never thought of getting on it until it was too late.

aptraveler and jbcarioca like this.
  6. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not too young to have flown on Concorde, although I would've been an early teen in 1989. My family did road trips around the country. Didn't do much flying.

Off topic, but are folks really hung up on the whole "Concorde" vs. "the Concorde" thing? I've seen it in some places, but not others.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd be thrilled if I had flown on the Concorde or just plain on Concorde.

8. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bought a Concorde luggage tag off of eBay, though, to remind me to do the things that are cool while I can.

ETA: I'm old enough that I could have flown the Concorde in any year, though the first few I wasn't an adult.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I had plenty of time to fly the Concorde, even though I didn't become mileage-obsessed until about three years after its retirement. And I even thought about just booking a joyride when it became clear it would end soon... and yet I didn't.

Does anyone think I'll be able to fly super-sonic over the course of the next thirty years? (ignoring the possibilities that I start a super successful company and buy my own fighter jet or fly into space).

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was mileage-obsessed before, but it seemed so far away from anything reachable by a mere mortal at the time.

I'm better at figuring out how to obtain the difficult now.

12. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting to note the "yes" responses to the poll. As I write this, there are only two. One said he flew it as a courier and it cost him about $200. In my case I booked a BA excursion flight JFK-MBJ for the low $800s one way. (Plus an EA coach ticket on a 727 back to the states - what a contrast!). What I am trying to get at here is that Concorde once in one's lifetime was in fact do-able for, in desamo's words, "mere mortals.". Just like others on in modern times have managed to snag F on 380s, even occasionally EK with showers, without paying list. That's the type of folks drawn to milepoint. Interesting to note that of the two of us who answered 'yes' so far, neither one bought a 'normal' Concorde ticket for thousands of dollars.

uggboy, aptraveler and jbcarioca like this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please add the other airlines that operated the Concorde, Braniff and Singapore Airlines. Admittedly SQ had SQ livery on one side and BA on the other but they did have SQ cabin crew. Braniff flew both BA and AF versions from IAD to DFW. It might be nice to have the routes too. Remember AF flew CDG-DKR-GIG, and BA had LHR-BGI, and AF also had CDG-TER-CCS and CDG-MEX. IIRC those were all the scheduled flights. I flew on all of them except CCS, MEX and BGI at least once and I commuted BAH-LHR-BAH on Friday and Saturday for a couple of years, flying most weeks.
    It was never a sybaritic experience but it certainly did enable a lot of extra work to get done! With video conferencing and internet i'd never be willing to go through the cramped (think Saab 340, style comfort) experience again.

uggboy, SC Flier, aptraveler and 2 others like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I answered yes and I always paid more or less full fare. That is, we did have corporate discounts from BA, SQ and AF but not BE. Not once did I get any of those nice discounts that later because common because I did most of my Concorde flying in 1977-1985. IIRC the deals mostly came later, if they were there earlier I did not get them.

uggboy likes this.
  15. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    To the best of my knowledge I am unable to add the co-branded, own-crews choices to the poll at this time. The subsonic option was designed for such routes as IAD - DFW. Perhaps I should have allowed multiple responses, but again, it appears to me pretty locked in on milepoint at this point. By checking 'both BA and AF' (I presume that was you), and then posting your comment, you made yourself clear, I think. Interesting that after the first day you appear the only one who really was a Concorde 'regular.' Guess I would have expected more than one to click 'both BA and AF' today.

16. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the PHX-CLE Continental Last Flight mini-do, the fourth person traveling also had a Concorde luggage tag but had flown, and iirc, he is a MPer, but not under the same handle as TOBB. (The other three were myself, WA, and violist, and he's steve64 on TOBB.)

17. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was yet another Delta award redemption for me. :)

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  18. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No but I got to check out the cockpit when I was around 5 or so. My father worked for Air France so that was our way on. Too bad we didn't get on a flight. I guess it was a bit too pricey of a perk to give employees! :)

19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too am surprised by that. I recall talking with a couple of MPers at some DO or other, I do not recall where, who had also been regulars. one of them had commuted every week LHR-JFK and return (IIRC he was a banker). Another one, IIRC she was in the women's fashion industry, had regularly flown JFK CDG and LHR. While I was doing the BAH-LHR trip the Thursday-Friday BAH-LHR and the Friday-Saturday return flights were at least half full of regulars and many of us knew each other well (the Bahrain business community was not very large at the time). I wish I remembered the names of the other MPers.

20. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just be happy to see one in person. Does anybody know if one is on display anywhere ?

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    At the Intrepid Museum in NYC, for example:

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/The-Intrepid-Experience/Exhibits/Concorde.aspx

Or on the other side of the US at the Museum of Flight:

http://www.museumofflight.org/concorde

And another one in Germany:

http://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/de/de/concorde-f-bvfb and while you're there, you can also see the Soviet "clone": http://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/de/de/tupolev-tu-144

22. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
  23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I saw them a few times at JFK while they were still flying. And I believe I saw one take off at LHR, but my memory's a bit hazy.

24. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen them take off. Quite amazing.

I'm talking about the ones on the airfield, though. Can't find the CDG one on Google Maps at the moment, but I did see it when I was at the airport last Christmas.

25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So taking this thread off topic, has anyone flown on (the) Tu-144? I have a feeling there is no need for a poll and I expect at most one affirmative answer.