Poll: Ambassador status for an award stay

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by NorthAmericanMarmo, Mar 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Should you by Ambassador status only for an award stay?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  1. NorthAmericanMarmo

NorthAmericanMarmo Active Member

Status Points:
    So we all know ICHG doesn't officially honor status level on award stays, but there are numerous reports of receiving some benefit on an award stay. Here's my position: I stay roughly 75 nights a year at US Holiday Inns, HI Expresses and Crowne Plazas. I like to use those points at Intercontinental properties overseas, and I'm debating buying Ambassador status with points on the chance I'm unofficially given some benefits on those award stays. Do you think it's worth it?

p.s. First trip on points is a night at the IC Mark Hopkins San Francisco and three nights at the IC Hong Kong.

uggboy likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having you considered trading for a RA referral or buying one even though it's not allowed? :)

3. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even on paid stays, the benefit of Ambassador status overseas depends on the property. For example, free Internet in Seoul but not Sydney. If you're only getting it in the hope of some perks on a points stay, don't bother.

uggboy, rharrigill and TheBeerHunter like this.
  4. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the cost, you get your money back with the free weekend cert and the 5000 points. so it's worth the risk of getting some additional benefits during your stay too. I think you can use points to make the purchase if you have a lot.

uggboy and TheBeerHunter like this.
  5. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recent posts suggest that Mark Hopkins will give you upgrade etc. on points. My understanding is that HK will not.

uggboy and NorthAmericanMarmo like this.
  6. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:

Really? On my last letter from PC it did say I could even sell the certificate to someone if that was my wish. I gave all my referrals, but after that letter I thought it was allowed to sell!

7. mrittmayer

mrittmayer Member

Status Points:
    It is hit and miss..so best you pay one night then extend stay with free nights....after you arrive...kinda hard to take back your freebies after your in room and staying...club access etc....Jakarta is great.....sydney IC will f@&$ u hard and many times....

8. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on the hotel. I really didn't like IC MH in SF. Very old, outdated hotel with CRT TV's in the rooms. I didn't get a lounge access there although I was PC PL AMB. I had to move to a different room because the first one smelled awful. And if you are not driving in SF be prepared for a good workout walking back to the hotel from the Market St. I would rather recommend a new IC in SF on Howard St. I've stayed there a few times and was always upgraded to a nice corner room on a high floor. Just pick the side opposite from the SF Chronicles building. I didn't get much of an upgrade at IC London on Park Lane. They will charge you for the internet. In my opinion, you would get the same treatment for PL AMB as you would for just PL. Especially in properties other then IC itself.

9. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know it's a late reply, but I've been too busy to come here for a while... ;)

If I could buy a RA referral for (less than) the amount of (renewing) Ambassador, or even when renewing Ambassador, I'd say yes (but I will already be renewing mine by stays early June, so that's a no-brainer <G>), but just taking out Ambassador for this is a bit of a risk... You never know for certain you'll get the perks on free (points-based) stays...
    OTOH, if you are certain you *will* use both the cert and the points, you should break even at worst...

I still have mine (free night cert) unused here and it doesn't look like I'll be able to use it before the July '12 expiry! :(