Police stop 15-year-old girl on her way to Syria by intercepting plane as it taxied @ LHR runway

Discussion in 'LHR/LGW/LCY/LTN/STN | London Area Airports' started by uggboy, Dec 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Police stop 15-year-old girl on her way to Syria by intercepting plane as it taxied down Heathrow runway

Newscience and WilliamQ like this.
  2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Regarding this matter... I am at a lost in trying to understand the motivation behind these volunteers.
    Do they truly believe in the cause and felt that the rest of the world is evil?
    I also cannot imagine what the affected parents feel to learn that child(ren) has gone to join these wars

HaveMilesWillTravel and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It all depends on how they grow up and what's the "ideology" in their social surroundings, they might pick it up from others, or they simply believe that the world isn't a good place and want to fight the "good fight". Of course, it could be down to plain and simple "brain washing" through their parents or "friends". Many however seem to be fed up in the ways our world is going right now. I try to understand why especially younger people are fed up with the world, as they wish to change our planet in ways in which they hope to have an impact on their own lives for the better. Also of note, many such "volunteers" aren't the uneducated or poor, sometimes it's the whole opposite, these are wealthy kids, from a "good" background, good education which are fed up and are attracted to the "cause". It's all personal, I guess, it's all what they believe and what they think their future will look like, these futures they try to flee, that's at least how it looks like right now IMHO.

WilliamQ likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't seen many 15 year olds depart on planes to west Africa as volunteers to change the world for the better.

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happened more often, especially from the UK. Only in this case it got a lot coverage because it was a girl, boys are usually "volunteer".

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note the key words "west Africa" ;)

7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was rather busy while writing my reply, yes, your're right, while the boys or in this case a girl wants to fight in Syria, not many thinking about / or volunteer to make the world a better place where it counts most. But before they volunteer in West Africa, they might begin in their / our own backyards, it's often overlooked too. Cheers.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.