Police: Flight attendant stole from travelers

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sobore, Feb 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.wtop.com/?nid=209&sid=2766062

Police at Newark Liberty International Airport say they've nabbed a sticky-fingered flight attendant.

Police say Jean Paulino lifted about $140 in cash and two driver's licenses from a couple as they went through a security checkpoint Tuesday.

The United Airlines flight attendant was in uniform when he allegedly chatted with one of the travelers, waited until the other turned his back, then plucked the items off the X-ray machine.

Transportation Security Administration screeners notified police from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, and they retrieved video footage that allegedly showed Paulino taking the money.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=209&sid=2766062

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow...unbelievably stupid.

uggboy and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a great day for UA at EWR, is it?

At least they're not having a Costa-bad year.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's still early in the year...

kansaskeith and desamo like this.
  5. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    #UnitedStealsIdentities

traveltoomuch likes this.
  6. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suspect this may be a Colgan crewmember... the only EWR-IAD flight that didn't arrive early today was 4891, which was 1h40m late. If this individual was arrested before the flight to IAD, it would not be able to operate since 2 F/A is the minimum staffing for Q.

I'm not condoning this behavior at all, but it is well known that Colgan (and other regionals) pay incredibly paltry wages... we are talking poverty-level. Unfortunate.

JosephMay and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is unfortunate, and the crew member who did this is should be punished. But when are passengers going to take responsibility for their actions. Why would anyone lay a wallet and cash in a dish or on the x-ray belt. Valuables should be locked up in a jacket pocket or in a carry-on, not in plain sight for others to take. Hopefully this is a wake up call to these two travellers and the next time they will use some common sense.

upgrade and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    deleted

9. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it would be wise to put valuables into carry on luggage, zippered jacket pockets or a at bare minimum bury them under other belongings in bucket. You can also put wallet into your shoe, would create an obstacle to a thief. I always try to keep my belongings going through xray in my sight.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you read this article word for work, it says they took the money and drivers licenses "off the xray machine" and I don't see how that could happen.

More likely, (and unstated in the article) the licenses and money were in plain site in one of those gray bins and the FA took them from that after the bin had been through the xray machine.

There's a lesson to be learned here, I always put my wallet in a pocket in one of my bags before it goes through xray.

Note that this used to be a scam in the pre-TSA days -- someone would distract the mark, someone else would grab something or other, and then pass it off to a third person. The fact that boarding passes weren't required to get through security made it easy to do.

DTWBOB

11. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I notice the WTOP link at the top of this thread -- as do other news stories on Google news -- now has no references to United Airlines. It adds that an "airline" denies being the person's employer. Huffington Post even makes some comment, that I don't see backed up any place, that the suspect was impersonating a F/A.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't crew members going through security checkpoints generally show their crew badges as IDs?

uggboy likes this.
  13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's possible the news identified the wrong airline i.e under the assumption that for example an Express carrier FA would be labeled working for United Airlines when they really work for Acme Airlines or something...

Generally.

14. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is what I do whenever I fly. It was actually suggested to me by a TSA officer in 2007. Everything except my wallet goes into my carry-on.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Where does your wallet go?

16. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It goes into the pockets of thieves, I couldn't resist but if I'm not carrying coins I'd keep it on me.

genemk2 likes this.
  17. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I put everything I can into my carry-on. It makes collecting your stuff at the other end easier, because you have to collect fewer items.

18. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure how smart this is, but the last couple of T.S.A. stations where I have noticed a "strip-down-o-scope" on site, I have actually taken my wallet and zipped it up into the carry on as well. Reason: in the strip scope they make you take the wallet out of your back pocket and hold it in your hands overhead, then the remote monitor person sends an officer over to go through it credit-card-by-credit-card, even each local-brew-pub membership card. Just a royal pain and a lot of smart remarks about how much stuff I have in my wallet. (but little money!) Again I guess it's risky putting all that stuff in the carry-on if somebody steals it, but the last couple times that's what I've done. If it's just an old-fashioned metal-detector T.S.A. station, my wallet stays in my pants.

uggboy likes this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For the massage they ask for all items to be removed from your pockets. I put my wallet (+ keys, phone, ...) in my carry-on bag before I even get to the ID checker, i.e., the people in line around me don't know what I put where as they don't get to observe me. I keep my ID and boarding pass in my hands (or pocket if I walk through the metal detector).

That's what I was thinking :)

I think it'd quite unlikely anyone's going to try to walk away with my rollaboard or backpack, but I do, of course, keep an eye on it the entire time.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  20. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    It stays in my pocket.

21. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some people make the impossible, possible! The wrong way!:mad:

22. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Works if you go through a metal detector, but not if you're in the body scanner or getting a patdown.

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Does it work with that heavy metal Sapphire Platinum card? Come on, card bloggers, that's your opportunity for some investigative reporting combined with the chance of once more pushing a rewarding sign-up link onto your readers :)

Chimpy and desamo like this.
  24. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I went through the body scanner at DCA last July, they had you hold your wallet over your head,as kansaskeith described above. So, it wasn't in my pocket, but it was in my hand. :)

25. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Further to my past post, one can only do so much, and many have said everything goes in the roller bag, and I agree, but know has said in a LOCKED roller bag, and I guess that would be the ultimate safety net?