Polar Routes List

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by merice107, Nov 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can someone point me to a current list of trans polar routes that airlines are flying? I'm assuming a lot of the Central and Eastern North American flights to SE Asia do.

Also, what about the south pole? Buenos Aires to Auckland flies the south polar route correct?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if there is a list.
    I believe Thai has a flight: JFK - BKK?

3. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everybody flies great circle routes. Some come close to the geographic north pole, some close-ish, many miss the pole by hundreds/thousands of miles, but still pass through some pretty high latitudes. Even those that come real close to the pole may not do so depending on winds on any given day.

As for the south pole, I'm not aware of any flights that normally enter antarctic airspace, or that even cross the Antarctic Circle. I've done it once on SYD-JNB but I think that was quite unusual - the FAs on the flight said they couldn't recall doing it before - weird winter winds.

[​IMG]

Flyer1976 and merice107 like this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's not a 'normal' flight, but QF has a chartered plane head out over Antarctica on Dec 31/Jan 1 for what essentially amounts to a booze cruise. Would be an interesting aviation geek way of ringing in the new year. LINK.

Flyer1976 and merice107 like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not for several years now.

EWR-HKG goes polar more than not. The return is decidedly TPAC.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The SEA-DXB you have in the link there will rarely get anywhere close to actually polar. The winds STRONGLY favor them flying it more or less like a TATL flight and riding the jetstream: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAE230/history/20121106/0124Z/KSEA/OMDB. It looks like DXB-SEA goes slightly more polar more often, but even then it seems to go TPAC to take advantage of the winds. EWR-SIN is another one which looks like it should go polar but which generally does not due to winds.

merice107 likes this.
  7. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    KE94 IAD-ICN is polar more often than not.

8. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew on UA ORD to HKG last december, and we went about 50 miles east of the North Pole. Pilot mentioned it was the first time in 20 years that he had flown east of the pole, and that the route is usually west of the pole.

merice107 likes this.