Pointshound

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by olmangsr, Feb 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pointshound has been around for quite a bit now but can't really find any good feedback on it.
    Anyone used it?Did the miles post in a reasonable time(or did they post at all...)?

2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got 100 miles from them some weeks after I joined. I've never actually used them for booking so I can't say if/when those miles post.

Hattie105 likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the points have posted for me.

That said, I have a hard time with the value proposition. I think cash rebate sites and other OTAs offer better value than what they can offer on most bookings. I think it is an interesting concept, but the value proposition isn't quite there for me.

Once they have the booking option which permits earning in the native hotel programs active then I'll take another look at the numbers and see if they are any better. But right now I'm still going with cash back over points.

bqkali and miles and smiles like this.
  4. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got my sign up "bonus" too but I'm thinking on using it too boost my mileage plus balance a bit and want to make sure that it actually works and points are posting....

miles and smiles likes this.
  5. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    how long did it take to post?

6. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:

i was debating between the W HK and the Icon HK.I did my math and even that i love those starpoints i get more UA miles through PH.plus i was interested to try Icon anyways,heard good things about it...

7. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you done https://bckstgr.com/ ? You can get some easy and quick UA miles by signing up there.

8. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    First day when it came out...:)

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are you getting better than 5% RoI on the stay via PointsHound? Is there a comparable rate available on hotels.com? If so, you can very easily get to 5% back on that booking, in cash rather than tied into a program. And that's not considering the 10% back you can get through the hotels.com Welcome Rewards program, though that also requires 10 nights to release the value and it is not straight cash-back.

miles and smiles and olmangsr like this.
  10. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    its offering a 4,5k UA miles on a 4 night booking.5% of the total is $51.i value 4,5k miles more than that since i'm just a little shy for an F award to down under...

11. SM105

SM105 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Used Pointshound for the first time last week. No problems with the booking process, nor with the hotel and the UA miles posted within 3 days of check-out. Definitely something I will consider to use again, especially for independent properties.

olmangsr and miles and smiles like this.
  12. Hattie105

Hattie105 Member

Status Points:
    I did not know about this program and wonder if it applies to hotels or just airlines.

13. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's easy to create an account and look around for free. From my experience it's only air miles, though I haven't actually used the service.

14. searenees

searenees New Member

Status Points:
    Think I'll give it a trial run. A couple coast to coast trips coming. Hopefully it can help.

15. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was just looking around on Pointshound and noticed for some Hyatt, Hilton and SPG properties they are offering a "double dip". Not only can you get the pointshound points but you can get credit for stays and points to the actual hotel program too. Nice change.

16. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just booked a stay using PointsHound attempting their double dip with Hyatt properties in SF for the end of April. Will give an update afterward. I will say I only used them to book a Hyatt property that offered the double dip though did not use them to book last night in SF at another Hyatt property close to the airport as it did not offer the double. If all goes well I will just under 2500 Delta miles plus my Hyatt GP points.

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    FYI, as of today United is no longer a partner for PointsHound. They are notifying users via email this afternoon. Apparently United went exclusive with RocketMiles and shut out all others in the space. Existing bookings are being honored.

18. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeeouch!

19. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, too bad about this. Just switched my preferred at PointsHound to AA. Oh well, life goes on.

20. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Notwithstanding this, the ability to Double Dip with PointsHound is still a huge advantage compared to Rocketmiles,

CHK and Wandering Aramean like this.
  21. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got my email about this yesterday. They said they'd bump me up a level and get a 1,000 mile bonus on my next booking. Happy to say that I'm level 3 with them with just one booking. :)

22. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used them a few times without any problems. All miles posted as advertised. Everything worked perfectly.

But they are not my go to booking service as I have a few concerns:
    • In the booking I had, there was never a phone number to call in case of a problem. If you arrive at a hotel and there is a mix up in paperwork, I want a number to call and straighten things out.
    • If PointsHound goes out of business (there is no indication whatsoever this would happen) there is a high degree of probability that you would have to pay the hotel direct and then fight with your credit card for a PointsHound refund.
    Also, they recently lost the partnership with United, so no more United miles earnings

paladinua likes this.
  23. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm based in Asia. Points Hound has hotels in Asia on it's website, but so far i've not seen the Double Dip options available. Look forward to this option being available in the near future.

CHK likes this.
  24. paladinua

paladinua Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree on questionable value prop vs. cash back... however, they've been good for what I've used them for.

One concern I have is, in the 3-5 reservations I've made (double-up), my Hyatt Diamond status hasn't gone through. Hyatt number has, but not the level of status. I'm used to be a bit shy when it comes to confirming my status, although that's started to pass.

25. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure you should be shy about being top tier - I wouldn't! If you have your Hyatt GP card showing status, you can just pass it along with your ID and credit card at check in. You probably wouldn't even have to say anything.