PointsHound will let you earn hotel status + points + miles

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by Scottrick, Jan 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Others have reviewed PointsHound in the past, and I just posted my review this morning. What mine adds is an announcement of a new option from PointsHound that they call "Double Dip." With this option, you can still earn airline miles (United, Delta, and other) for every hotel you book with PointsHound. Now, you'll be able to earn fewer miles but they will guarantee that you also get your hotel elite stay/night credit, elite benefits, and hotel points.

Lack of elite credit, benefits, and points has been a major reason against booking hotels through online travel agencies, and PointsHound seems to be the first company to resolve the issue. They expect this service to go live sometime soon, perhaps in February.

Depending on how much you use their service, past customers have earned 4-12 miles per dollar. I'm not sure what the final number will be for customers who choose the Double Dip option, but the numbers I've seen indicate it could be pretty close (e.g., 2-10 miles per dollar).

Read the full review here:
    http://hackmytrip.com/2013/01/pointshound-offers-better-rewards-hotel-bookings/

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the Double Dip live yet? I had talked to them about that for a while but it wasn't in place yet. I'm also going to be quite surprised if they can get that close to the same earning rates, particularly for what they were offering above level 1 customers. The commission structure is VERY different on referral bookings versus OTAs.

Scottrick and Jimgotkp like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excited to see how things roll out with the elite benefits and status nights. :)

uggboy and flyingdawg like this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not live yet. They said it would be next month (February) but didn't have a specific date when I spoke to them. I'll be meeting them later this week and will ask again.

Earnings rates are going to be different obviously. In the original draft of my post, I suggested at 50% reduction in miles. But after speaking to them, I got some examples with only a 10-20% reduction. Seems too good to be true, but it also sounded off the cuff, merely an example to show that it was, in fact, fewer miles. So don't get your hopes up too high. Here's the quote from my conversation:

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI, as of today United is no longer a partner for PointsHound. They are notifying users via email this afternoon. Apparently United went exclusive with RocketMiles and shut out all others in the space. Existing bookings are being honored.