Pointshound Anyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by NorthtoAlaskaa, Jun 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. NorthtoAlaskaa

NorthtoAlaskaa Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has been using Pointshound and what their experiences have been? I've booked about 21 nights through them but the stays aren't until early next year.

I'm a little concerned that they don't provide booking information for the hotel....they promise the hotel will have a room, but that the hotel won't be able to confirm it until just before the stay.

I've emailed PH some questions last week, and have heard nothing in return, not even a "we got your email" email.

Any experiences with PH?

Thanks.

-a

2. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Used PH a couple of times.absolutely no problems with the reservations and points posted a couple of days after check-out.
    As for email it takes them a little to get back unfortunately.i'd recommend calling...

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bookings worked as promised; points posted as expected.

Jazzsadana likes this.
  4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used it for a booking and it went fine though my points did take longer to post than the time frame posted on their site. I emailed them and it was resolved in a reasonable time frame. I would use them again.

Jazzsadana likes this.
  5. Jazzsadana

Jazzsadana Active Member

Status Points:
    I was myself going through Pointshound,specially looking for getting multiple rooms booked in the same but couldnt find the option for the same
    Anyone having experienced the same booking multiple rooms with Pointshound ? if so,how did u guys manage and did points post for all of them ??

6. srdshelly

srdshelly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely do check other places for rates before booking. The one time I've used Pointshound so far, there was no problem in the miles posting, but I could have got a much better price as it turned out.

7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be aware of one of the issues with these. Even though you can cancel, your credit card is getting charged at the time of booking, not when you hit the hotel. So you may find that if you book a bunch of hotels you are floating them a bunch of money...

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not all of them are pre-paid rates. Yes, it is important to know the difference but the float for 3 months on a couple thousand dollars is pennies in most accounts these days. That's rarely enough to worry about IMO.

9. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Easy for you to say... I think its worth a consideration. Didn't stop me of course, but I'm getting to be a bit of a points nut...

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just remember that the points aren't free. There is either a real cash cost or an opportunity cost to acquiring them.

A key aspect of this game, one which is often overlooked or ignored, is remembering that fact and doing the proper calculations to make sure you're not blinded by the allure of the points into spending more than you should be to earn and redeem them. Once you do that the value proposition of the points falls out the bottom and you end up losing on the transaction, not winning. That's certainly no fun.

11. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I've only jumped on some rates that were close to the corporate rate I can get at nearby hotels, which means I have to bypass PointsHound for the majority of my stays. Did jump on a bunch when they were offering double miles there for a bit though.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    FYI, as of today United is no longer a partner for PointsHound. They are notifying users via email this afternoon. Apparently United went exclusive with RocketMiles and shut out all others in the space. Existing bookings are being honored.