Points posted before annual fee due, risks of canceling card?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by sharris503, May 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last year I signed up for the alternative 100k BA promo. This was the promo where you got 50k after first purchase and then another 50k in one year, presumably to post after paying annual fee. The annual fee is on my statement for this billing cycle. The payment is due in June. I just logged into my BA account and the 2nd 50k bonus has already posted. I want to cancel the card so I don't have to pay the $75. Any risk Chase could pull back that 50k if I cancel before paying the annual fee? Anyone else take advantage of this promo and get all 100k points without paying the second annual fee?

2. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would just pay the $75 annual fee and then in a few months cancel the card.

$75 for 50,000 points is not even a penny a point. Definitely less than having to meet a minimum spend.

3. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Closer to a tenth of a penny. I agree its worth paying the $75 to avoid the risk.

wrxmom likes this.
  4. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Additionally, Chase is pretty well known for reversing the annual fee up to 2 statement cycles beyond the date it was due, so there really is no risk if you're willing to put in the time and try to get it waived...then keep the card for another year to extend history.