Points Mystery - What to Do?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Explore, Jul 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like Hyatt Hotels so much that I'm in the middle of a Diamond Challenge, having been Diamond for a decade in earlier years. There's no comparable chain for elite benefits, especially in-hotel bennies.

Yet I'm stumped by the assertion of Hyatt Customer Service that a points stay I booked back in January (when I had plenty of points in my account to cover it) was not points-debited at time of booking. Unfortunately the website doesn't clearly indicate when points withdrawals are made, but I did find before and after Hyatt monthly statements documenting a points withdrawal at time of booking in the exact amount needed. The late night Customer Service agent I spoke with asked that I e-mail those statements to her, which I did promptly. Two days later, after no acknowledgement was received, I called CS during the day, but that agent simply referred me back to the night agent. That night I received an e-mail restating that points hadn't been taken out until my recent stay, therefore there was no double deduction and points couldn't be restored. I was offered bonus points to close the matter, but instead I want to know what's going on.

Is it too much to ask that someone at Hyatt take a look at the statements I sent in, and provide a running total of my points balance for the months in question? Has anyone faced a similar problem?

Over the Atlantic likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Somewhat OT but I find it annoying when Hyatt doesn't deduct the points when doing an award stay or C+P reservation. Sometimes I lose track of how many points I actually have in my account...

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could you list some of those GP Diamond benefits that other chains do not offer their top elites?
    Why do you need to send statements? I am looking at the "Account Activity" in my GP account and everything, including running balances, is listed going back to December 2012. I just booked a cash+points stay a couple of days ago and the points were deducted right away. In short, I have not experienced what you just described, but your "account activity" should reflect whatever is in your monthly statements. Is there a discrepancy between the two? If not then you'll have a hard time making your case...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    B1BomberVB likes this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Start a conversation here on Milepoint with Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge. Hyatt has a team who actively check that account and can help with issues such as these. If you don't get an answer, ping me and I'll try to assist.

Thomask and B1BomberVB like this.
  5. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    your online account should display the previous point deductions, otherwise, take up Pizzaman's suggestion, or in the past, I've found Hyatt on Twitter very responsive and they had a customer service staff get in touch with me if I didn't get an email reply..

B1BomberVB likes this.
  6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, if you use Award Wallet, you may be able to see variations in the historical level of your points, and see whether the points were deducted long ago, recently, or both.

7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

Thomask, WilliamQ and Newscience like this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm....

9. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I see some nice to have / unique items like "Baby Shampoo", "Deodorant", "Delicate Detergent"...
    I am however surprised a large number of the items on this list has to be requested specifically like "Bath Soap", "Coffee Condiment Kit", "Coffee Cups" etc
    Frankly, there are more "should haves" (for all guest by default and not just the Elites) on the list then "great perks".

Kalboz and NYCUA1K like this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have most of this in the room, however if you want extra they will be brought to your room ... and this is available for every guest, elite or not!

WilliamQ likes this.
  11. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    agree, from my stays so far, most are in the room, some in the list are referring more in the context that if you need more of particular items..

12. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for weighing in, everyone. I did some sleuthing on my own, and determined the following:
    • I should never have been over-extended on points, but I did cancel one reservation about 30 minutes before booking another back in January, and apparently that wasn't enough time for the points to have been returned to my account.
    • According to Hyatt CS, they allow an account to go into negative points territory if you have insufficient points for an award booking. In that case, the points aren't debited until you stay at the property, in my case six months later.
    I would have preferred that Hyatt debit my account as soon as possible after the booking, rather than springing a surprise later on. What is the general policy on this?

WilliamQ likes this.
  13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to have misunderstood your post. Then this is good... No... GREAT as the list are now truly extras :) the handfuls of rare items are definitely still a gem.

Kalboz likes this.
  14. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am happy for you to finally figure out the chain of events. Regardless how they handled the situation, not all would think it is the best other than an immediate refund of points upon cancellation. If that (immediate refunds) is not possible (could be due to process, technology, policy, audit constraints) then situations will always happen in the existing form or your recommended process.

Now that it is clear that there were no double deductions, what was the amount of points they originally offered you out of goodwill? :)

15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    And no need to tip either as they will leave the goodies by your door! :)

16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do they do? They bring an item that you requested, knock on the door and run away to avoid being tipped, rather than physically handing it to you, as they should? :confused:

Kalboz likes this.
  17. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't want to sound stingy, but as the above-pictured note says - we will place the items in a bag on your door knob

WilliamQ likes this.
  18. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    However, I did notice that the above paper "Missing Must have's" was missing in 3 Hotels in Germany that I stayed at within the last month!

Kalboz and WilliamQ like this.
  19. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    But if it is a corporate standard, then you should be able to request for the items even if this paper is not present? :)

Kalboz likes this.
  20. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I do still request them. ;-) On another note have you noticed the product and quality difference in what you get? Staying at the PH ZRH using the sign-up Hyatt CC award night, I requested a shaver and foam and I got a small beautifully wrapped bag that must have been packed by a Douglas "Drug and perfume store" with a foam that lasted me one month, a sample of good smelling after shave, a real shaver etc. I had to requested a shaver at other Hyatt properties since and get the cheap plastic one and the shaving cream. Never the foam again. I guess the GH BKK also has a shaving foam but not as good as the PH ZRH.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    WilliamQ and Kalboz like this.
  21. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, I requested some items at the Hyatt Regency Orange County even though the list card was not in the room.

WilliamQ likes this.
  22. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not surprised. The different Hampton Inns provides me different shavers as well. :)

Kalboz likes this.
  23. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I realized I needed a toothbrush during a stay as I was getting ready to jump in the shower. I was much more thankful they left it on the door knob than made me try to throw on a robe or clothes to answer the door while jumping out of the shower.

OceanBreezes and WilliamQ like this.
  24. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe thats why they started the practice of leaving on door knobs!

25. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yup, or reducing the scare factor from employees when the likes of me come to the door in just a towel. :eek: