points/miles typically come after spend or after allotted time?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by nonstopski, Jan 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was curious when miles and points post. I may need to do some quick mileage redemption and realized I wasn't sure if the miles and or points would post after the minimum spend is paid in a bill or after the allotted time, example: 3 months.

Specifically interested in the Us Airways card and either the Hyatt, SPG, Carlson hotel cards.

daninstl likes this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is after annual fee is paid so about two months. Carlson see terms on chunk is fast second is after spend is paid off

daninstl likes this.
  3. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If the US Airways card is the personal Barclay's card...you should see the sign up bonus plus any miles from first month purchases within a few days of your first statement closing. This was the case for us. Our first purchase was within the first week of getting the card so I would suggest using the new card asap as a purchase on the card is required (based on their terms).

daninstl likes this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    The current terms state:
    •Earn 50,000 bonus miles after your first purchase and payment of the $89 annual fee
    http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/creditcards/default.html?re=1
    which leads me to say "Is after annual fee is paid so about two months." Since you now have to wait until the annual fee is on your bill and pay off that statement.

5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll find that most will post either shortly after the next statement date after you complete the minimum spend or on cards with no minimum spend it will post a bit after the statement is paid with the annual fee.

6. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought I had read though that you could call and pay the annual fee early? Is that not true anymore?

iolaire likes this.
  7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know. I'm not one to call and rush things. For example I don't immediately call the reconsideration line, I wait patiently for things to happen.