Points in Australia and New Zealand

Discussion in 'Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific' started by merice107, Sep 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So m,y wife and I are in the initial brainstorming phase of a trip down under. After looking around, there does not seem to be a lot of options for hotel award nights outside of the big cities (Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland).

In particular, we were thinking about trying to do something in the Cumberland/Whitsunday Islands (like Lizard/Hayman) on the Great Barrier Reef/coral Sea, or Kangaroo island (to the south). Something to get a little more exotic and not big city.

I found a couple of of holiday Inns in Cairns and by Darwin. There was also a SPG property by Cairns but nothing out of this world.

Anyone have any suggestions? Am I looking in the wrong place? I'm rather disappointed in the lack of options for a stay for what I am looking for. :( (Guess that is my own fault). I just figured there would be lots of options on the Great Barrier Reef.

Mirror74 likes this.
  2. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you are right. Outside big cities there really arent a lot o choices when speaking of hotel redemptions... there might be some IHG, Choice or Best Western properties, but nothing to report home about...

merice107 likes this.
  3. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    When we went sailing in the Whitsunday Islands we used the often derided Capital One Venture points to pay for our accommodations.

That being said I also recall that Loyalty Traveler mentioned a lot of Choice and Best Western properties in more out of the way parts of australia, as @Mirror47 mentioned.

There seems to be a rather nice Best Western in Arlie Beach, which is the 'Land' side of the Whitsundays.
    https://www.bestwestern.com.au/airlie-beach/hotels/best-western-mango-house-resort/
    That being said I have no idea how the Best WEstern program works and 20,000 points for the night seems like a lot.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013