Points for Two Rooms

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Jul 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Over the last few weeks, I had three stays at three different properties, and I booked and paid for two rooms at each property (for three travelers). I had three reservations (for two rooms each).

Looking at my account, I see only points for one room posted from each property. That's both for the base points as well as the current triple bonus offer. I filed a missing points request for the first stay last week, but haven't heard back.

Looking at the T&Cs, I notice this clause:

A Member may earn Base Points for up to two rooms per stay, if all eligible charges for both rooms are paid on one folio.

Each property shoved a separate folio under our doors. Did they screw me out of half my points?

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    .....and you had two folios? That's worrying!

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, one folio shoved under each door with different numbers (but the same reservation number and same name and same credit card). I certainly didn't request it that way.

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like they wanted you to give points only for one room, despite all this ie. same name, cc, res number....!

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you called Hilton? What do they say about this issue?
    Would be of interest for many here on MP incl. the outcome.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not yet. I generally prefer to research first before calling. I did submit the webform for the first stay last week when I thought it was a mere oversight, but when the other two stays posted the same way I started looking into the T&Cs.

Well, do you have to explicitly request one folio from the hotel? Clearly it's to their advantage to not provide the charges on the same folio, but this would seem to be a rather customer unfriendly approach if upheld by HHonors.

Or maybe I am just misinterpreting it.

uggboy likes this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope you will get a positive outcome, please report back.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I personally would have thought that booking two rooms and getting all the charges into one folio wouldn't be a problem, but as you said, it's an advantage to the individual hotel to offer you automatic two folios and giving the guest who pays all two rooms only points for one. A clever trick or mishap. This equates to a rather and interesting good question.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Based on my research

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...tant-fight-get-points-credit-second-room.html
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hhonors/1229113-points-multiple-rooms.html

you indeed have to ask the front desk to move the charges from one folio to the other. Of course, neither did I know that nor would I have had the time to do that (and even then it seems there are cases where the then zero-dollar folio posts instead of the one with the charges... shocking, I know).

So off to preparing an email for hhonors@hilton.com

uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in a similar situation last year but I knew the rule so I took care of business before leaving the hotel. I was responsible for two rooms, but like in your case, they'd issued two folios. The person staying in the other room had checked out first and had told them that I would be responsible for her folio. When I woke up, I looked at the folio that had been slipped under my door and saw only the charges for one room so I knew that I would have to request that the folios be combined. But first, I wanted to see whether they would do it automatically, and just like in your case they did not. They just presented me with the other folio and said they were told that I would settle it. It was at the point that I requested that the charges be combined onto a single folio so that I would get HH points for both. They, of course, knew what I was talking about and did it. When the points posted a few days later, I had been given credit for both rooms.

I am sure that if you explain to HH CSR what happened they would not give you a hard time about it. However, I suspect there are lots of folks out there who leave uncollected HH points that they are entitled to because they are not aware the rules, and HHonors is definitely not eager to let them know about it...

uggboy likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. I am not too concerned after reading the FT threads, and I now know how to deal with it upfront for my next stay in two weeks, but it still feels like a bit of trickery on HHonors and the properties' side.

uggboy likes this.
  12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    (edited to add am not sure why my response are italics)

No.. no despite the "experts" on FT and the implication/statement in the Hilton T & C that members are required to get the two folios combined at checkout....that is not always possible and often not at all desirable... just say if you have family accompanying you on a business trip.
    a) I have found that front desk personnel often have difficulty or are not properly trained in combining folios.
    b) There are properties that have specifically told me they cannot combine folios. My most recently in June 2011
    were the Hampton Inn, Abuquerque NM and the Hampton Inn Taos, NM
    c) Have never ...I emphasize never had folios for one room post and been unsucessful, after calling in to HH in getting the credit for the other room.

IMHO HH is well aware of the problem and you should get your points perhaps after " suggesting that the hotel was unable to grant your request" (whether you did attempt or not)

uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  13. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just stayed at the Radisson in Quito, Ecuador and they tried the same thing. Upon checkout I had them combine everything into one folio.

14. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I book two rooms whenever the family takes a vacation. Always ask at check-in for the rooms to be on the same folio. About 75% of the time, the desk agent will have trouble doing it. For those, I've always received my points after sending an inquiry to the HHonors desk.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I usually don't face that situation but this summer I am having four or five stays with two rooms. Actually quite nice given that they are all on weekends and give me the triple points... just wasn't aware of this issue.

16. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wishing I read this post before my Doubletree NYC stay a couple weeks ago. Points posted for one room but no the second. I was unaware of the one folio condition. The front desk agent obviously was unaware too. See even pointed out my gold status, and offered to add my honnors number and CC to the second room so my friends would get free breakfast and internet, and I would get the points. Just Emailed HH hopefully they will correct the problem.