Points-earning strategy for trip to Sweden

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by elsewyse, Jan 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. elsewyse

elsewyse Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning a trip to Sweden for my mom & I sometime within the next few years, and for obvious reasons, I'd like to pay for it using points as much as possible. I'm new to the game and could really use some advice about where to concentrate my credit card apps/etc in order to be as efficient as I can. There's no set date for the trip yet, but I probably have a year, maybe more to work in. The trip would probably be a week to two weeks long.

Current holdings:
    Sapphire UR points: 66k
    United: 73k
    AA: 22k
    Priority Club: 21k
    Marriot: 20k

If I can get enough points to get us both over there in business class that would be great, but I'll take coach if we have to. Credit's in the mid-700s. I can't do more than ~$2000 in monthly spending. I don't have anything resembling a business, so I can't apply for business cards. I've got three Chase cards right now (Sapphire Preferred, United, Amtrak), two of which were applied for within the last three months, so I'd prefer to concentrate on other banks right now if possible.

That said, can anyone suggest where I should go from here? Ways to get more United miles? What hotel chain to focus on? Right now I'm looking at the new Club Carlson card, since they seem to have a number of hotels in Sweden. Are there any other hotel cards that would be better? Is there anything else I'm not thinking about that would be smart to do?

TIA for any help!

2. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    there is a hilton in sotckholm, its 40k pts per night, or 30k pts per night if you book 5 or more nights and are at least hilton silver, get free amex hilton card i think the sign up is 50k or 60k, and get two citi hilotn visas, the sign up is 50k, that will get you 150k, wait at least 65 days and get the citi visa again for another 100k, this will net you 250 hilton points with no annual fee and both cards give you hilton silver. 250 pts will get you 8 nights at a cat6 hilton

3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    UR transfers 1:1 for Marriott.....Marriott in Malmo and Stockholm. You would already have 86k for Marriott. Both are category 4 so 20k per night, 15k with Pointsavers Reward. They also have Redeem 4 nights get a 5th night free. Sounds like you could already have a few nights covered. Of course you could send those UR points to United as well.

4. elsewyse

elsewyse Active Member

Status Points:
    Good to know for both of those, thank you! I think my mother will want to spend a fair amount of time traveling, not just in Stockholm, but for the time we're there that will definitely be a help.

5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both of you can get Club Carlson card(s). That way you get oodles of points and you can redeem them two days at a time, first you, then her, for as long as necessary. That way you are paying only half the points per night :)

edekba likes this.
  6. pilotb757

pilotb757 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sheraton Stockholm is another nice one, 12000 SPG points, I stayed there on a few occasions and love the location, plus excellent breakfast buffet. The Radisson Blu all over Scandinavia are also nice .