Points Earned for In-laws stay

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by gleff, Jun 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Perhaps everyone else knows this, or perhaps it's an uncommon glitch, I've very much not a Marriott Rewards guy. So apologies if I'm mentioning a big secret or something, I'm just not familiar with the program from too much personal experience. I do occasionally stay at the Renaissance Boca Raton since it's about half a mile from my grandparents' home. But I haven't even always stayed on regular rates there, it's frequently been the only 4* on Priceline in the area and it's not like I usually have Marriott status except when it's comped, Marriott honors Priceline benefits anyway. So I've frequently Pricelined the hotel.

Well, I had a cheap rate there earlier this month so I paid it and I also signed up for the stay 2 get a free night promo even though I didn't expect to have 2 stays during the promo period.

While I was at the hotel my wife told me I needed to book a stay for my in-laws, a single night at a particular SpringHill Suites. I was logged into my Marriott Rewards account when I did it. I booked the stay in their name.

And points posted to my account.

And a free night from the current promo did as well, since that was the second stay.

Strange behavior, didn't expect it at all, their reservation wasn't in my name and I didn't even realize my MR number attached to it.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting post. Thanks for sharing. I could see how this could be helpful.

Also helpful to know that Marriott will offer points on price line rooms.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    To be clear, Marriott honors elite benefits on Priceline stays -- they don't offer points for spend on room rate through Priceline and the stays do not count towards elite status. They will offer points for incidental spend on Priceline stays.

4. dctravel

dctravel Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, this happens with Marriott from time to time. I often book rooms for my mother-in-law and about 60% of the time, I get credit for her stay (which is fine with her). Not sure why it only happens sometimes, but I am always grateful for the extra nights and points, since I don't travel as much as I used to and when I do, I am always at the mercy of the federal government rate.

5. Lou

Lou Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I took my parents to Edinburgh, on check-in I was informed that they would upgrade my parents as well as me, even though they weren't obligated to do so. Points all posted to me.

So perhaps there are some aspects of this that are elective per hotel / franchise?

travelinmike33 likes this.