Points credited seem WAY too low: worth pursuing?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by free101girl, Mar 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Earlier this month I booked a last-minute stay at Andaz Maui through a third party site (Jetsetter) because the rate offered was far below anything available on Hyatt.com, plus it included daily breakfast, which normally costs $45 per person per day at this property. The offer stated that it did not qualify for GP points, which I was fine with, considering I was saving so much money. The rate was also prepaid and non-refundable.

I did put my GP number on the booking, figuring I'd earn points on any incidentals, at least. I reconfirmed this assumption when I checked in and when I checked out.

As it turned out, we spent over $1700 on "incidentals" at the hotel. The vast majority was spent in the restaurants, because we liked the resort's food so much that we ate all but one meal there. We also had some small purchases in the shop, valet parking at $30/day and a cabana rental.

So here's the thing: I received only 2785 points, including Platinum bonus. I know hotels sometimes exclude certain items that are provided by outside vendors, such as parking or spa services, but still this seems awfully low - surely it can't be right that 75% of our incidentals didn't qualify for points earning?

I checked the GP site to see if I could file a claim for missing points and the only options are "missing stay credit" (which this stay doesn't qualify for) and "missing bonus," which isn't the issue. Should I pursue this further? If so, what is the best way?

TAHKUCT likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were all of the restaurants actually operated by the hotel or did they just rent space at the property? That could make a difference. Also, does Hawaii have local/state laws that would preclude awarding points for alcohol?

Call Hyatt and ask them to verify that you received the correct number of points. Or call the property, and ask for clarification.

3. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hyatt GP has a problem with posting points correctly. You should definitely pursue this, the points you got does sound low. I've had different point postings in the past at my mattress run property at identical rate without any incidentals.

4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had the same experience. Need t contact CS and they will adjust it appropriately.

5. free101girl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the help. I guess it's possible that all of the restaurants are third-party but it seems kind of unlikely. (Morimoto would be the most likely, since it's a restaurant from a celebrity chef.) I'll call them on Monday and report back.

traveltoomuch and TAHKUCT like this.
  6. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Good Afternoon,

If you wanted to PM me your relevant Gold Passport and reservation details and save yourself a phone call, I'd be happy to take a look at it.

Safe travels,

Evan V

7. free101girl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Evan! I sent you a PM with the details.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  8. free101girl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    To follow up, Evan (Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge) has already fixed this for me! I'm super impressed. Thanks, Evan!

Counsellor and Max M like this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    We need a Citi Reserve visa CSR here to fix as expeditiously all the bonus point crediting that they keep botching and it takes multiple calls to get fixed!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    But HH is superior :D

11. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    His beef in this regard is with Citi, not HH. Citi is the one not crediting the bonus points for using the HH Reserve card at HH properties.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. CC bonus points are awarded by the CC issuer. Citi points appear in my HHonors account on the day that my CC statement is released because they award points on the CC statement closing date. HHonors has made very few errors in crediting points. The last one for which they still credited me points was of my own making. I booked a reservation with the AMEX Surpass, which would entitle me to a 500-point booking bonus, provided that I also paid the folio with the AMEX. However, at check out I paid with the Citi Reserve. When the points for the stay posted without the AMEX 500-point booking bonus, I called to inquire. HHonors had no idea why I did not get the points, which are supposed to come from AMEX. They could see in my account that my default booking card is the AMEX so they had no reason to doubt that I'd earned the booking bonus. They gave me the points as an adjustment with no fuss. This happened a few times until I figured out on my own what was happening (booking with the AMEX and paying with another card) and stopped calling to request the AMEX booking credit, which always credits properly when I do things the way they are supposed to be done.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    LETTERBOY likes this.