Points being issued

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Megrockstar, Feb 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Megrockstar

Megrockstar Active Member

Status Points:
    I booked two SW flights in November and rented a car in Jan and none of my points have reflected on my account. I am very frustrated because I also hoped to be awarded the extra 5k in the first months but I'm put off. Thoughts& ideas? When I called spg they said call amex. When I called amex they said spg does all points

Counsellor likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint!

What does SPG have to do with any of this?? Did you fly the flights in November? Was your Rapid Rewards number listed on the reservation? What account was the rental car supposed to post to?

boondr and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Second on the "Welcome," Megrockstar!

I infer from your post that you charged the tickets and rental car to an SPG AMEX to try to get to the required spend for an introductory bonus for using the credit card. Have the charges appeared on your AMEX statement? That's usually the trigger for the credit cards to recognize "spend".

Once the charge is on your monthly bill, AMEX notifies SPG (probably routinely sending SPG the information on the monthly account statements of charges to the SPG AMEX) , and the SPG points will appear on your SPG account usually within a week of the AMEX statement's closing date. SPG does not wait until you've paid the AMEX bill to credit the SPG points.

That can lead to the do-loop you find yourself in. When AMEX says for you to call SPG, essentially they're saying "We gave the information to SPG, it's up to them to issue the points." When SPG says for you to call AMEX, essentially they're saying "We can't give you points until AMEX notifies us that you made charges to the AMEX account."

So, what sometimes happens is this: IF you had an SPG account before you applied for the AMEX, AMEX may not have added that SPG account number to the AMEX account opening information they sent SPG, and SPG opened a new SPG account for you into which they're depositing the SPG points you're earning on the AMEX card spend. In other words, unbeknown to you, you now have two SPG accounts, your old account (the one you're looking at and wondering why the points don't show up) and the new one into which SPG is depositing the points you earn from using the AMEX.

Best thing to do is call AMEX and ask them what SPG account they associate your AMEX with. When they give you the number, see if it is a different (new to you) number and if so call SPG and ask them to combine the new account into your old account. Also ask them to coordinate with AMEX to ensure that future spend is reported as associated with your old SPG account.

I hope this helps. If I've misunderstood, please post again with more information, or send me a private message.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a great and detailed explanation. Thanks!

Counsellor likes this.