Points and Cash Please

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Explore, Mar 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm almost ready to move back into the Hilton fold after last year's poorly executed points devaluation (I remain Diamond only because of a targeted "stays count quadruple" promo that HHonors offered, together with the free nights promo).

But redemption requirements are still a significant barrier. HHonors fares very poorly against Priority Club, even allowing for a somewhat higher average quality level for Hilton Group properties. Not only does almost every Priority Club property go for 25K points per night or less, but most of them offer a points and cash option most nights, so you can end up paying between 5K and 15K points per night, plus a tax-free $60 USD. A huge difference from Hilton.

SPG also offers points and cash, with typical redemption requirements of 2.8K points and $45 (vs. 7K), 4K points and $60 (vs. 10K), or 4.8K points and $90 (vs. 12K to 16K). In short, very significant point savings that make a huge difference when the cheapest paid rate is $200 or more.

Yes, HHonors gives stay credit on reward stays, unlike other chains. But the top tier requirement is 28 stays per year, vs. 25 at SPG and Hyatt.

HHonors needs to offer a points and cash option, even if they have to stop crediting reward stays.

2soonold likes this.
  2. jrjcopp
    Original Member

jrjcopp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I second that! Would love to have the option with Hilton properties.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    "HHonors needs to offer a points and cash option, even if they have to stop crediting reward stays."

Taking in consideration, in particular the last sentence I totally disagree.

And frankly I dont see the need and expectation that all programs should have exactly the same features.

Hey make your own cash and points by mixing paid and award stays if you so need.

Not sure why the question of the number of stays required for top tier in other prgrams were even brought up
    because as the poster well knows that awards stays count at HH count so one can get top teir
    on HH with all award stays or by Surpass card spend ...neither features exist in the SPG program.
    And since we are on the topic of CC there is no comparible with SPG to the AXON award.

Hey you cant have everything different features attract different members to the respective program.

4. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some airlines are offering something like that, too. I wish Hilton would come around.:)

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah but AA which is considered the best of all airline programs doesnt.

6. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish Hilton would let me book the cheapest room in the joint, and then give me a larger, nicer room, comp me breakfast every morning and comp me eats and drinks every night, give me free internet and late checkout, and give me free points so I could stay free from time to time in some of the nicest hotels on the planet. Oh, wait...I think they do all those those things.

Mapsmith and gates_2 like this.
  7. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points: