Points and cash option

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by mht_flyer, Mar 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quick question, I'm booking a 2 night stay at Caribe Hilton for 25k points + 85.00/night.

I've never booked this type of award (didn't want to waste 100k points for 2 nights)

Do you earn HHONORS points for the cash portion of the stay?

Thanks!

NYCUA1K and uggboy like this.
  2. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure that you do not (unless you pay for that cash portion using a card that generates HHonors points, of course). I just dug through the T&C, and I cannot find specific mention, but I know I've read before something official that strongly implies no points for the cash portion.

uggboy and mht_flyer like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A stay that uses any HH points at all will be considered a reward stay and will not earn points, except on incidentals. The only time points and cash can be combined and one still earns points on the cash part is when the HH points are used to secure a Room Upgrade Reward.

MyTravels, uggboy and mht_flyer like this.
  4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I was hoping otherwise :( but oh well... I could just use all points, but I think paying 85/night is actually a bit better value wise saving me 50k points.

NYCUA1K and uggboy like this.
  5. WhiteDesert

Status Points:
    It's the Caribe? What's the BAR for the nights that you want to stay there?

6. WhiteDesert

Status Points:
    I built a little spreadsheet a while ago to calculate a rough redemption "value" for Hilton and SPG properties using my own valuations. Plugging in a random weekend in April, I get a rate of $279 for the standard room ($308.13 all in). With tax, the cash portion is $93.87, so I figure, including the loss of the points that you'd earn but accounting for those that you'd get for the cash portion if using an HHonors card, you'd earn a redemption value of about .53, which isn't spectacular. The C&P redemption value would be about .7, which is rather better.

I'd do a .7 to stay at the Caribe.

mht_flyer likes this.
  7. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rate was about 279.00 for the standard room. Thanks for the information. C&P it is! :)

8. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nah, its mid-May

9. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Off topic, but I see Conrad is 40k points or simply 169.00/night. I know Conrad is better hotel brand, but why so cheap? Is there something negative about that property? Which do you prefer?

10. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having the same issue with those two properties (actualy three if you count the villas at Caribe). The reviews for all the properties are 50/50, love/hate. I booked the Hilton on a gut call and requested a remodeled room, plus most agreed they have a better beach.

11. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given the devaluation of HHonors I would burn the points.

0.7 is better than 0.53, but the question is what will your valuation be after March 28th.

12. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    What if said room was $195? points (50k), cash, or mix?

13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the intention is to burn HH points before the purported "devaluation", then 50K, of course...

14. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget taxes, fees, etc in your costs. Most award redemptions include these costs as well. If you are staying 4+ nights and have access to AXON and/or GLON awards that also lowers the cost/night

If you were to redeem an AXON that is 145k/4 = 36,250/night (or lower if the Conrad is 40k/night w/o the AXON). If taxes and fees are 15% the total cost per night would be $224.25 (plus possible FX fees depending on what credit card you use to pay), which equals 0.0062/point. The actual "value" is a little lower as the back-of-the-envelope above does not back out the points earned had you paid cash.

If you use 50k/night the back-of-the-envelope is 0.0045/night, and unless i had somewhere else in mind where I would receive a better valuation for the points I'd go ahead and spend the points in the near-term.

basiface likes this.