Point Tracker Site

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by kevindavis338, Aug 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. kevindavis338

kevindavis338 Active Member

Status Points:
    I would like to know if there is another site (besides points.com and award wallet) that track all of points that you have earned?

2. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are, but in my opinion, Award Wallet is the best. Is there something missing from that site or a specific feature you are looking for?

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. kevindavis338

kevindavis338 Active Member

Status Points:
    The problem with award wallet is that United and Delta does not allow to be tracked with Award wallet.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those two (along with WN) don't allow any 3rd party sites to track their members' data. So no other option is going to solve that for you.

vickers and edekba like this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    you can just forward the monthly statement ...

traveltoomuch likes this.
  6. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another one is Usingmiles.com :

https://www.usingmiles.com/. I used it for a while a long while back before switching over to AW. I presume United and Delta aren't tracked on this site as well.

7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would someone care to comment as to why the various point tracking/accumulation websites are preferable to each airline's website? I've found that each airline's smart phone app makes airline miles tracking pretty straightforward, and quick and easy to do. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    Betty Boop and vickers like this.
  8. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just 1 stop shopping. :)

I use when when deciding to burn points for a hotel stay. I can quickly see my balances and which one is going to expire without activity.

traveltoomuch, edekba and Newscience like this.
  9. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both Tripit Pro and Kayak.com have a points-tracking function (although as Wandering Aramean mentioned, several airlines don't allow any third-party site to track their data). I use Tripit Pro's point-tracking feature and have been happy with it.

Newscience likes this.
  10. moongoddess

Status Points:
    When you participate in multiple airline programs and multiple hotel programs plus several different credit card programs with transferable points, that's a lot of individual sites/apps to have to check. It's more convenient to have all that data in a single spot.

traveltoomuch and Newscience like this.
  11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks much, @vickers and @moongoddess !

FWIW, I'm happy with our new smartphone (HTC I-8), and can quickly access the airline miles on each airline's app (including those airlines that don't participate in the aggregate websites). I haven't accumulated a whole lot of hotel points as yet outside of one or two hotel chains, so that's not an issue. It's easy to bundle all my airline apps into one folder on the smartphone. And I guess I also wonder if putting my miles on a third party website allows others to more readily have access to this information.

vickers likes this.
  12. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having them all in one auto-updated view is very nice, especially when that view shows point expiration dates. I have some balances in programs I don't actively use, and awardwallet helps me know where to credit the random 500 miles from a hotel or car rental to keep an account alive.

Yes, but in a good way. I can give the Awardwallet credential to someone and say "if anything happens to me, enjoy some miles" without them having to jump through the administrative hoops, which might or might not work, for each program individually.

Newscience and vickers like this.
  13. moongoddess

Status Points:
    To me that's the one downside of points-tracking programs, but from looking at my Tripit Pro account, I don't think anyone who hacked my account could get access to my passwords, just to my points totals. So they couldn't actually use anything they found there. Of course, if they hacked the Tripit server they might get more - but anyone who could do that could probably also hack the airlines/hotel/credit card servers as well. So I don't see it as a huge added risk, just a small one. (Although I'm open to having my mind changed on the subject!)

Newscience likes this.
  14. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thats a good point. I have my wife's accounts linked on my AwardWallet. Easy for me to see and track all balances.

Newscience likes this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And just wait until those 3rd party sites start selling the information about your travel habits to other companies based on the details they glean from your account data. :oops:

Newscience likes this.
  16. moongoddess

Status Points:
    True, but if a recent post here on MP can be believed, the airlines are ALREADY doing that, so the damage is done.

Newscience likes this.
  17. Nitroxprt

Nitroxprt Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are so many companies tracking every web site you visit, I am sure "they" know your travel habits and preferences almost better than you. There have been many News Magazine Shows that have detailed these marketing tactics even to include facial recognition when you visit certain stores. So unless you are in a dark closet with the door closed and a blanket over your head, someone knows what you are doing. And don't take your smart phone in the closet with you.

Newscience likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The airlines know what you're doing but they track that for their own purposes, not to sell that data to their competitors.

Sure, but that's somewhat different. I'm not talking about AA tracking when you visit their site or even UA knowing how often you search for a particular city pair and occasionally sending you an email based on those search patterns. I'm talking about one of these aggregators looking in to your travel history and deciding to tell Airline A that you have a habit of flying high fares on Airline B for a particular route which both operate on so as to induce Airline B into trying harder to grab your business.

And not disclosing that they share your travel behavior with 3rd parties in their privacy disclosures.

That's shady. Mostly the failure to disclose.

Newscience likes this.
  19. moongoddess

Status Points:
    Not to their direct competitors, no - but to advertising agencies and other companies that don't represent direct competition, yes.

Check out this recent thread for more details: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...ve-profits-in-tough-times-for-airlines.95442/

Pretty creepy!

Newscience likes this.
  20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Selling marketing data like that is far from a new thing for the airlines. How do you think those free hotel status challenges or free Regus Club membership deals happen.

And, again, they've disclosed that they sell it. Some of the mileage/travel tracking sites are less clear about that.

Newscience likes this.
  21. moongoddess

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I think these days we should all assume that any site is selling our data unless they expressly tell us that they are not.

Newscience likes this.