Point or Miles?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by ffitalia, Feb 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi
    I know little about the program and I have some doubts. I'm at the platinum level (via status match). In your profile I saw that you can choose to earn points or airline miles.
    If you set up the miles:
    - You get 50% of bonus points for Platinum elite status? Points or miles will be credited?
    - Miles earned are counted ("as point") for the renewal of the status for the next year?
    Thanks

uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seeing as a status match is generally a one time (or very limited) occurrence per member, I'm very curious why you status matched if you knew very little about the program.

Most status match if they know they will be utilizing a program & the corresponding benefits with coming travel.

ffitalia and uggboy like this.
  3. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have explained badly....I request status match because I think often of use in the future (i have first 15day trip schedule in March), and I studied IHG program :)
    My only doubts are those above.
    I'll explain. For example: if i pay 200$ for one night, earn 2000 point (10 point x $) + 1000 point (50% bonus point for platinum) .. ok?
    My first doubt is, if I choose to earn miles instead of point, for same night (200 $) I earn 400 miles (2 miles x $) .. but what is bonus platinum:
    - 1000 point
    - 200 miles
    - nothing?
    Second doubt, for retrain status nex year (platinum for example) I have to get 50 night or 60.000 point.... if I choose to earn miles instead of point, for same night (200 $) how many points I are considered for status?

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    ops.. partialy solved...I have reread T&C... "Gold and Platinum level bonus points are credited only to members who choose to collect IHG® Rewards Club points" then I think no bonus if chose to earn miles.
    Remains second doubt... but I think I will choose to earn point for not miss the elite bonus :p

Sweet Willie and foxberg like this.
  5. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's always better to choose points or miles that belong to the Airline or Hotel chain you are trying to get a status with. Getting a third party credit usually less profitable.

Flyer1976, ffitalia, DJP_707 and 2 others like this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always believed and done this when staying at a hotel unless I really needed a top off an airline acct for an award or I was participating in US Air's Grand Slam promo.

Flyer1976, ffitalia, DJP_707 and 2 others like this.
  7. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with foxberg and Sweet Willie.

8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1. Me three.
    In some programs, fees are also charged for crediting FF miles instead of the usual points.

ffitalia likes this.
  9. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    or do a calculation of how much the miles would mean to you for your future travel plans.WIth the relatively small no. of miles awarded for stays, tje may make more sense only if you are seeking to top off an award booking and not building an award redemption from scratch..

Sweet Willie and ffitalia like this.