Point Me to the Plane - Fodor’s Top Ten Layover Airports

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Mar 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    Fodor’s 2013 list of the top ten airports for a layover is out and I can attest that all of the below may have you thinking twice about taking that non-stop flight. There’s no big surprises on this year’s list, though I don’t totally agree that SFO is in the same league as...
    ©Point Me to the Plane, a BoardingArea Blog

Continue reading...

2. xhunter33x

xhunter33x Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am still so disappointed with the U.S. Airways - American merger. I have had so many problems with American that I had removed the airline from the mix when considering future travel. At one time I was huge fan of American. I joined their Advantage program when I was 16. Even at that age I took at least one flight a month. I would frequently choose American for European travel, and as a Caribbean junky, American had become one of my best friends. Their international service is still wonderful. A flight attendant who gives me an unopened, full sized bottle of champaign upon arrival in Aruba must be happy with his employer! (I'd been drinking Champaign the whole way and he said he never had seen anyone like Champaign so much and thought it would make my say more enjoyable). I began to accompany my elderly mother on her travels, I began to see another side of American that was not so pretty. In 2005 I called American the afternooon before the return flight from Curacao just to ensure there were no schedule changes (big time operation...I was speaking to someone at the airport!). We arrive the next morning and are informed that I was given incorrect information the night before. When I assist my 81 y/o mother when travelling I make sure she has plenty of time. The flight was still on the ground and yet we were stranded at the airport in Curacao for almost 8 hours. The airport is exposed to the elements and it was very draining for her. We then get to Miami where we are rerouted to Cincinnati by way of Nashville. Despite my request, American did not notify Nashville that we needed a wheelchair and upon arrival didn't have time to wait and she had to walk from the American terminal to the terminal containing Delta Airlines.
    My mother did not travel much after that. That experience made her feel too old to travel any longer. That really upset me. In 2008, however, she wanted to go to the Nation's Capital to see the World War II Memorial as my father had fought in the war and it was such an important event during her lifetime. We chose to fly American, which turned out to be the BIGGEST travel mistake I have ever made. By this time, my mother had moved into my home in Palms Springs from Cincinnati. We took American First class from Palm Springs to Philadelphia and back. My mother has what can be considered a life threatening allergy tp cats. Although she never has smoked a cigarette in her life she has had breathing issues for years. We board the plane to find someone with a cat. I had to say something to the Dallas staff at the gate and they obviously did not grasp the enormity of the situation as they said, 'Oh, the cat is way in the back of the plane.' We all know that air recirculates. In any case she reluctently check the other flight into PSP and informed us how much those PSP flyers like their pets. We ended up on the original flight. The gave her an oxygen mast and tank to breathe with. She felt foolish and was humiliatedat how it made her look and couldn't wear it to the restroom or while eating. Thank God, that cat did make it safely to its destination. My mother, on the other hand, needed to be rushed to the ER in the middle of the night due to respiratory issues. I wrote American and heard nothing. I finally called where upon I'm informed that yea they got my letter. The travel had been completed andso what was the problem? "We got her home safely and that's all we need to do." The woman was inssufferable and it was apparent I was bothering her and that was that.
    The following year my mother suffered two strokes and had been therapy for quite some time. Last August it became necessary for my mother to move in with my sister as she can provide better care and attention than I am able.
    My mother turned 89 years old this month and said to me that she would like to see Cincinnati one last time. I went into her American Advantage account to arrange a First Class ticket for her trip to Cincinnati using her remaining 80,000 miles. I access the account and find that American had swallowed the miles up due to inactivity. Knowing how accommodating American had been in the past (LOL!), I figured I would either buy her the First Class ticket out of pocket or pay to reinstate the miles that she had earned. One email and two calls later and this is where things stand. An email reponse that statesd the issue is too intricate to be handled through email and to call. Two calls later and I might as well try the email again. They can't grasp the idea that I would like to know the difference in price between an out of pocket purchase and the payment to reinstate her previously earned mileage.
    In any case, I can see that this is going into the, "I don't understand what the question/problrm is" file at American...That file must be huge. Now U.S. Airways and AA are going to be one in the same. I'm think I am going to become an active supporter of high speed rail. Does anyone have any suggestions as to who I could call that might be able to answer the question above? I'm so tired of this I am not sure I would buy the ticket from AA. I have to get a ticket as well. The thoughtlessness AA shows our seniors is inexcusable. Thanks to everyone in advance for your suggestions!

3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    What does a complaint about AA have to do with good airports for stopovers? :confused:

4. xhunter33x

xhunter33x Silver Member

Status Points:
    [
    Sorry, been in Palm Springs for a couple months and hadn't checked this. God only knows what I was thinking. Apparently that is just something that I can't move beyond when it comes to travel. Best place for a stopover Cincinnati, Shannon, and that's it. I hate making my way through airports where no one knows where they are going or to stay to one side. Every 'stop-over' airport is a mess for the most part, like a funnel into which syrup is poured. My favorite airport is PSP.