Point earning dollars vs. non-earning dollas

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by DeacFlyer1, Aug 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I realize this is a simple question, but I want to make sure I'm 100% clear on the answer. I just switched my HHonors account to earn base points plus variable miles (tied to US Airways for their upcoming Grand Slam promo).

My question is, what dollars per stay are elligible point-earning dollars, and which dollars are not eligible to earn points?

For example, I have a one night stay coming up at $199/night. With local/state taxes, the night will probably be around $230. But will I only get 199 miles for that stay? I'm guessing you probably don't earn miles on tax dollars, but I'm not sure.

What about in room purchases? For those not familiar with the US Airways Grand Slam promo, you need to earn at least 200 miles per stay in order for the stay to count as a "hit" in the promo. So in my example above, will I miss out? Can I order room service to get extra mile-eligible spend? Or is room service/movies/minibar etc not eligible either?

Thanks for any enlightenment here!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you upgrade your reservation to a slightly more expensive room rate, for instance including breakfast or lounge access, or just a higher category room? If there's a rate in the $200-215 or so range, this might be the easiest solution to be sure that you get credit and you of course get to enjoy the better room or one with goodies.

uggboy likes this.
  3. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a company travel policy that would prevent me from doing that...which is why I'm wondering if I can just order something cheap from room service to throw it over the top, or something like that (if those dollars earn points, which is what I'm trying to figure out!).

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can't do it even if you document and pay the difference? Or does your corp rate only apply to one room type?

uggboy likes this.
  5. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Our corporate travel tool will not permit the booking of a room over $200/night without triggering warning flags and approval requests to managers, etc...which I'd like to avoid if possible.

uggboy likes this.
  6. baliparis
    Original Member

baliparis Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you select Points & Fixed Miles as your earning preference and are staying at a WA, Conrad, Hilton, HGI, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, you will receive 10 HHonors Base points per eligible U.S. dollar spent + 500 miles per stay (100 miles per stay at Hampton Inn®, Hampton Inn & Suites® and Homewood Suites®).

If you select Points & Variable Miles then you will receive 10 HHonors Base points + 1 airline mile per eligible U.S. dollar spent. Yes, you will receive 199 miles. You do not receive base points/miles on taxes. You should receive points/miles on room service/minibar.

7. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I didn't do the points and fixed miles because I know I have a couple Hampton stays coming up, and didn't want to screw myself there with the GS promo. But you're saying room service, etc does give you points/miles? That's great news if that's the case!

This also brings me to my other question....how often can you switch the earning preference on your account? If I know I'm staying at a Hampton one week, but a Hilton two weeks later, can I switch back and forth in between stays?

8. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see the issue here. Why not just switch your earnings preference between stays?:confused:

9. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what I just asked in my above post...so are you saying you can change back and forth at will? Is there a lag time before your change takes affect? I've never done this before so trying to figure out how it works.

10. baliparis
    Original Member

baliparis Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have always received points for charges made at hotel restaurants, gift shops, room service, spa when staying at the hotel.

Yes, you can change your earning preference back and forth at will between stays. I don't change mine too often as I usually have it set to Points & Points. But I think they say to set your preference at least 24 hrs before your stay.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  11. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I believe that it can be dome any time before you check out.

12. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, this is very helpful!