Point Conversion back to Standard Award

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by jackrobat, Jul 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. This has been driving me nuts this morning. I used up all of my freedom and standard awards 2 months ago. While looking at my current points last week, there was an offer to convert 15,000 Points into two Awards. The Award I received worked in the same way as those that had been stored once SWA went to the Point system.
    Was this some limited time offer I cam across? I cant find anything similar to converting points back into Awards. They are handy for last minute travel.

2. This is a one-time deal to convert any remaining old credits into a single standard award (SA). Any (old) credits you had in the bank when the Rapid Rewards system converted to the new system are valued at 1200 points per credit. You can convert new points into credits to give you enough credits (16) to get one, final SA. Once you've done that, no more old-style awards (sigh).

HPN-HRL likes this.
  3. HPN-HRL
    Original Member

HPN-HRL Silver Member

Status Points:
    SnowCanyon is correct - you must have 3.5 old credits left in your account. They will (if you choose to do so) charge you 1200*12.5 (=15,000)new points to create one more pair of one-way "old-style" Rapid Rewards award tickets.

4. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to figure out if this is worth it. I have 6 old credits left that will expire in Dec. I've got over 8,000 points now, I need a few more to do this transfer. I don't know if it's better to do that or just keep the points. I know in the past I had a lot of problems trying to use those awards with availability, don't know if it will be better now that not so many of those awards are floating around?

5. Jimmy28

Jimmy28 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you generate a lot of points on WN, then I'd go ahead and do it simply on the principle of not leaving money on the table for WN to keep. If you can plan at least one trip well in advance you should be able to use it. I just used a standard award for Christmas flights a few weeks ago. Really depends on the type of flights you use Southwest for...if it's a lot of short, inexpensive hops then maybe sticking with the points is best. If you're talking a $300 flight then you'd probably get a better deal with the standard award.

Lyssa likes this.