Point Breaks Reward Dates Updates and Information

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Canarsie, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    This discussion is designed for easy access to dates and information where InterContinental Hotels Group Priority Club members can save on spending InterContinental Hotels Group Priority Club points for award reservations at select properties.

Here is a link to the Point Breaks Reward Dates offered by InterContinental Hotels Group Priority Club.

kiwi likes this.
  2. I saw someone posted on FT that IHG intend on ceasing the points breaks later this year, and replace with 50% off usual point redemptions at a broader range of properties, whilst possibly just a rumor or even IHG testing the water, would seem prima facie to devalue the program, clearly the points break offers the most attractive redemption.

I would like to see alternative offers like increasing the thresholds, say for example 8k for IC properties, 6k for CP, Indigo, 4k for HI et al.

Would be interested in seeing a vote/poll of MPers re what other ideas may be attractive to Priority Club members.

Tiki likes this.
  3. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I would be OK with raising the cost but opening it to a wider range of properties. And remember, not all properties within a given brand are equal, so a set rate increase does not really work.

The last thing I would want to see would be a wholesale increase in the redemption rates for all properties

bmw9983 likes this.
  4. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd take all info from new posters on FT with a grain of salt. Until we see what they actually do, it's all just idle conversation. IHG has a really good promotion with Pointbreaks, and they'd be a bit daft to mess it up too much.

It often seems that they put properties that are hurting on the list, so it's a bit of a win/win for the properties.

TheBeerHunter likes this.

5. Hi mowogo

yes but the existing deal is 5k points at the various brands, IC's, CP, HI etc, so when you say a set rate increase wouldn't work i'm not getting your point. i'd like to see more properties available and more IC availability, and see an increase of 3k points as a possible avenue to achieve that. No suggestion of increase in redemption rates for free nights, just for the points break. I'd, the rather pay 8k for IC points break versus the 20k for IC @ 50% reduction in redemption.

6. Hi Jaimito

I don't disagree, possibly just rumor, but could also be IHG testing the water to gauge reactions from the members

7. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like this idea if it increases the number of ICs, like they have to put up at least 5 ICs per region or something. I've only scored ONE IC redemption since Pointbreaks has been running-at the IC Vienna.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  8. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's be honest. There are 4,500 properties in the system, so IC could easily stick up 100 PB's each time and all of them be criticised as totally useless. Be grateful for the odd gold nugget of CP Prague etc and be prepared to jump in when you see it (if you're so desperate to save some points!). Frankly, unless a property was the top PC option in a city anyway, I still wouldn't bother just to save a few points - I wouldn't pay 5k for a NYC HIX, for example, if the IC Times Square was available at the usual 40k.

Tim O'Brien, TheBeerHunter and RAPC like this.
  9. RAPC
    Original Member

RAPC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with a lot of what Raffles has said above. The odd nugget is indeed nice, but the last couple of lists have been pretty poor. On that basis I'd rather take a better selection at a good discount, rather than very little at 5,000 per night. Obviously the best solution would be the current pricing with a decent list, but I doubt those days will return.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  10. agreed Raffes, but what about a wider range of IC properties being made available if the trade off was a marginal increase in points, say even 8-10k for PB at IC's.

RAPC likes this.
  11. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would be fine by me. I'd prefer to see 100 properties at 50% off, with a good mix, than 100 no-mans-land properties at 5k ....

Tim O'Brien, brinkers and sobore like this.
  12. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. I would go for a 7500 point break on a better mix of properties!

Tim O'Brien and brinkers like this.
  13. brinkers
    Original Member

brinkers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would to - maybe the bar is set just a little bit low to be able to get a good range of properties (although I have scored IC stays in the past).

14. MrHalliday
    Original Member

MrHalliday Silver Member

Status Points:
    If anyone has a list of the days and times the new lists were released,
    (maybe just the last year or two are relevant),

that might be interesting to have posted here.
    (OK, I know where I can find it, but this is just basic infrastructure for milepoint !)

15. agreed, whether 6-8k, 7.5k or as Raffles suggested @50% discounted, ie 17.5 -20k, whatever it seems all are in agreement re the objective of getting more IC options. Maybe they could offer a hybrid, two or three categories, eg a reasonable number of IC's at the 50% redemption rate of 17.5-20k, some IC's @ say 10K, reasonable list of CP & Indigo @ 50% redemption and some @ 7.5k and the HI et al @5k

Would be interesting to poll, i thought i saw a poll button on here but cannot see it now, maybe an equivalent of a mod could set up a poll.

16. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a question .... can point break reservations be canceled without any penalty? ie - if a good property comes up, should a person jump, because they know there is no risk?

I also don't mind a tiered system for the point break properties, where HIX and HI are 5k, with CP at 7.5K and IC at 10k or something like that .... with the hopes that would add more top end properties.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  17. iceman77_7
    Original Member

iceman77_7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pointbreaks can be cancelled without penalty. It has been rumored that people will book entire months worth of pointbreaks at choice hotels then cancel all except the few nights they can use. The problem is that the cancelled rooms don't go back to the pointbreak inventory.

18. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can create a poll whenever you launch a new discussion. I do not believe a poll can be added to an existing discussion.

Please feel free to do so!

19. ifly153
    Original Member

ifly153 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, does anyone know when the next point breaks list comes out? I'm interested in March/April travel, but I guess the current one ends soon.

20. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have exactly the same question