Pod hotels coming to US airports

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Feb 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/blogs/packup/2012/02/pod_hotels_coming_to_us_airports.html

There's nothing worse than missing a flight only to find out that the next flight isn't until morning, and the only place you have to sleep is on the rickety airport chairs. Good news stranded travelers: relief is on the way at some U.S. airports.

Forbes.com found a few "pod hotels", small cube-like mini-rooms, that are coming to nearby airports so you can get a comfortable rest. Pod hotels have proven success in Japan and China, and in Frankfurt, the "nap rooms" at the airport are the traveler's best friend. You won't find any four- or five-star amenities in these rooms -- but you will get a little shut-eye without worrying about slipping off chairs or awaking to strangers in the gate area.

http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/blogs/packup/2012/02/pod_hotels_coming_to_us_airports.html

Kalboz, flyingdawg and canucklehead like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remembr that we're talking about small numbers of these pods in any airport. They can help if someone's flight is delayed or cancelled for idiosyncratic reasons, but have insufficient capacity to help much if there is a major weather event or industrial action.

Espan likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, it would be entirely uneconomical to build pods for those cases. That's what cods are for.

But last time I took a red eye out of SFO that was delayed by a few hours and left at 1:30am, I wandered the mostly empty UA terminal and found quite quite a few folks sleeping on those seats in the gate area. I did that once in my younger days and to this day remember the constant security announcements and vacuum cleaners. Not a good night of sleep. So I would certainly be willing to spend a bit of money on a more relaxing place. Trying one of those capsule hotels in Japan is still on my to-do list.

That said... from the article:

The cost? Much cheaper than an airport hotel. The Minute Suites start at $30 the first hour (the minimum stay) and $7.50 for every 15 minutes afterward (discounts apply for longer stays).

So a six hour layover would cost $30 + 5*4*$7.50 = $180 (unclear if six hours is enough for a discount). Four hours would be $120. I think I could find a cheaper airport hotel for that in many cases.

canucklehead likes this.
  4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the concept of pod hotels, especially when you have a few hours (>3 or 4h) between connections, but when reading, I thought of 2 things

1) comfort of bed. Although I can rest on most surfaces, a comfortable bed is requisite for good sleep. has anyone tried the Yotels?
    2) the rate Minute Suites is charging seems pretty high - $30/hr + $7.50/15min thereafter. A 3h stay would be $90. A four hour stay would costs $102 as you get a 15% discount after 4hr or more + and 25% after 8h+ .

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the Minute Suites rates I've seen are not at all competitive with most airport hotels, especially considering the (lack of) space and amenities. The main advantage seems to be the proximity of being located right in the terminal, even airside, plus the rates by the hour for very short naps.

flyingdawg and canucklehead like this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are the most economical, not sure how comfortable they are. :eek:
    :D
    [​IMG]

flyingdawg and canucklehead like this.
  7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member