PLT Challenge... will this get me there?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by girlsmom, Oct 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. girlsmom
    Original Member

girlsmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's what I have planned within a 3-month timeframe (first flight is Nov 18... last flight is Jan 22). Will this get me to PLT if I do a PLT challenge? I have no status now (or anymore). :-(

Thanks so much to all you wise ones!

Booked through IB:
    IB JFK-MAD booking code O
    IB MAD-TLV booking code O
    BA TLV-LHR booking code V
    BA LHR-JFK booking code O

Booked on AA:
    AA IAD-LHR booking code O
    AA LHR-CDG Booking code S
    AA CDG-LHR Booking code O
    AA LHR-IAD booking code O
    AA DCA-JFK booking code S
    AA JFK-DCA booking code S

tondoleo likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The IB flights may not do so - I thought all flights for challenges needed to be AA flights or flight #'s to earn a minimum number (10k) of EQP (elite qualifying points) versus EQM (miles). On AA and BA, O and S fares earn .5 EQP and 100% EQM (LINK for AA, LINK for BA). On IB, it varies - see this LINK.

tondoleo likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only AA flights count towards challenges so after calculating your EQP, you would have 4,177 EQPs which means you are roughly 6K short..

tondoleo likes this.
  4. girlsmom
    Original Member

girlsmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure that's still true:

• UPDATE: As of July 2012, flights marketed and operated by certain partners will also be eligible to earn points that count toward the completion of a Challenge: British Airways, Iberia, Japan Airlines and Qantas. (Cathay Pacific is notably missing.) The specific language from the challenge confirmation says "And now you have more opportunities to complete your Challenge because points earned on qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, the AmericanConnection® carrier, British Airways, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your Challenge."

tondoleo likes this.
  5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you overlap earning years in a challenge? Does it not have to be completed within the earning year to qualify for any elite status? Since you're breaking it between two earning years, will this count?

tondoleo likes this.
  6. girlsmom
    Original Member

girlsmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe it will count as it has to be within a 90 day window... nothing about a calendar year

tondoleo likes this.
  7. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should call AA customer service. When I did my platinum challenge, the representative went through my iteneraries and told me what I would need to make it. They even helped me start the challenge on a date that was more advantageous for me.

8. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Challenge must be completed 90 days from it's start. It is okay to start in one year and end in the next.

9. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to GCmap your total flight miles are approximately 19692. Except for your TLV-LHR leg all of the flights are in a class providing you 0.5 points/miles flown. You will receive 2233 points for this leg.

My math shows a total of 8792.50 points for your O and S legs plus 2233 for the V leg. A total of 10962.50 points. enough for Platinum. I urge you to call up the Challenge customer service desk to make sure that your IB/BA flights will count. Good luck. Enjoy your travels.

10. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slightly OT, but is there a separate CS number for challenges? Signing up my SO this month and wanted to check on a couple of things along these same lines.

tondoleo likes this.
  11. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    1 800-882-8880.

This info is in the AA wiki for Challenges.

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA)

miles and smiles likes this.
  12. girlsmom
    Original Member

girlsmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right. I called AA and they confirmed the trips will add up to more than 10k points, so I'm good to go! (and yes, the IB and BA flights count toward the challenge. Thanks!

desamo, rwoman and miles and smiles like this.
  13. jrmccorkle

jrmccorkle Active Member

Status Points:
    Good luck on your PLT challenge. Just completed mine and loving it!

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP jrmcorkle!

jrmccorkle likes this.
  15. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice thread... just to confirm, is the Plat Challenge still active and valid..? Ive decided to jump ship and quit the LANPass program, so I will come back to AAdvantage. I see a couple of non AA threads listed here with tips and FAQs, but is there an official AA link that I should read up on to see details of this challenge...?

Also, there isnt anything like a Gold challenge, or...?

Thanks,
    Alex

16. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gaucho: Both Gold and Platinum challenges are alive. The only difference from when I took mine is that now they have a fee.

You have to earn 5K EQP (Elite Qualifying Points) for Gold during the challenge period, 10K for Platinum. The challenge can be started on 1st and 16th of a month and lasts 3 months - I personally like to think of it as 8 weeks, so I don't foul up.

The best times to start your challenge are January 1 and June 16. In January, you have lower fee and most likely lower airfares. In June, the fee and airfares will be higher, but the resulting status lasts longer.

Platinum is definitely the one you should go for. Each flown economy mile earns 0.5 or 1.0 EQP depending on the fare paid. So one rt to Asia or a couple of domestic transcons can do it, just pay attention to fare code.

Gaucho likes this.
  17. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.... the fee for Platinum is $200... what about the Gold Challenge... what is the charge for that...?

Thanks again.

18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Recent updates on the Flyerguide indicate that a PLT challenge is actually $240, GLD challenge at $120.

Gaucho likes this.
  19. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah........ wow, is the US suffering from Argentine-like inflation or what did I just miss...... :eek:

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Fees go up, they rarely go down. ;)

Gaucho likes this.
  21. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dont expect them to go down..... more like expect them to stay the same..... (??)

22. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't needed to do a challenge for a while, but I think the fee is lower in the first 1/2 of the year and higher in the second 1/2. That is because the status earned in the second 1/2 lasts longer by an extra year. Hence the common advice to start your challenge on/after June 16.

In practice this advantage is greatest right around the middle of the year and gradually decreases as you move away in either direction. So if it is May, you are definitely better off waiting till June 16. However, in January it is less clear, because waiting till June would mean having to do with higher fee, possibly high fares, and missing 1/2 a year of status. In December, again less clear; in fact may as well wait till January for lower fee and lower fares.

So I would state my advice about timing as follows: The best time to do a challenge is in Jan-Feb. Start on Jan 1, and finish ASAP. If you miss the first few months of the year, then June16, provided you can find decent fares.

23. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting this..... so where do you confirm if the fees are lower in the 1st half of the year.... and also, how much lower are we talking about, 50% or less...?

24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There is no published information, you'll have to ask AA and they'll send you the specifics in an email. If you want to see the history of fees, they're listed here: LINK.

25. jrmccorkle

jrmccorkle Active Member

Status Points:
    The PLT challenge fee for me starting on June 16 was $240 to confirm. Good luck!