Please suggest best city to visit in May in Asia/S Pacific, weather-wise

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by m124, Apr 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. m124

m124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking for suggestions on what city to visit in May 2013. I would be flying oneworld from SIN to there and * alliance from there back to the US. I will be traveling alone so it doesn't need to be the ideal beach escape. I am just looking to visit a new place.

I have seen that Sidney, Auckland and Hong Kong are kind of rainy in May. Any other pointers?

Santander and thrashsoundly like this.
  2. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go to northeastern Australia (fly into CNS). The weather is great and Port Douglas is a great little town which is the launch point for most of the Great Barrier Reef tours. Excursions up into the Daintree Rainforest are also neat. I went in May two years ago and loved it.

3. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did Sydney and the surrounding area and then flew to the Barrier Reef in May with no rain. I loved every part of it

4. m124

m124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both for your suggestions.

As far as *A award tickets are concerned, CNS departures seem to be only at 1 am and out of SYD it is only possible in UA first class, which from what I have read, it would be a waste of miles. I would love to see if there are any other options.

5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    DPS also is in dry season in May.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe an inexpensive Avios trip from SYD to CNS? I haven't looked to see if this was possible, but since the distance is short, it may be a good option.

7. m124

m124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    DPS is a good suggestion, but I am not seeing any oneworld routes SIN-DPS.

8. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is your definition of Asia? Do you need a non-stop service there from SIN or is a 1-stop okay?
    I think the weather in SEL/TYO is pleasant/bearable in early May if you're open to north Asia as a destination. They're both very interesting if you've never been there before. The weather would definitely be a nice change from the heat in SIN imo.

9. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jetstar (JQ 117) using the Qantas codeshare (QF 276). ;)

To be honest, you could probably buy the one-way ticket for $70-100ish USD, as long as you're not horribly picky about flying on an LCC.

10. m124

m124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One-stop from SIN is ok. Thanks for suggesting Seoul and Tokyo, those are interesting indeed.

And thanks about the Jetstar SIN-DPS service info.

11. NEVERhome

NEVERhome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have fallen in love with the older French colonial towns of the region. Hanoi Hue in Vietnam, Siem Reap in Cambodia, Luang Prabang in Laos and the wonderful architecture of Yangon. Staying at hotels designed by the Sarkie brothers has also become a fancination for me, my favorite being one in Surabaya.. If you can afford a few dollars, the exercise is so rewarding, being greeted with a bonjour in Hanoi and finding the best croissant and baguette maker in Asia is the way to start a morning. May is a problem in Asia, it is extremely warm this morning in Bangkok and this region holds the 40+ (100)degree days for another month now, but you dress accordingly and you never walk out in the sun anyway. SYD is perfect this time of the year, warmer than MEL, they are still swimming at Bondi, and with Jetstar or Virgin, the northern coastal towns are only hours away at a minsicule cost. Denpasar is beautiful and do try the new Regent at sanur, this is the first big hotel for a while.

12. m124

m124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is Cairns ok to visit without a rental car?

13. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did ok for a few days w/o car as I don't drive on the left. We did tours of barrier reef (boat out/helicopter back), kuranda tour w/train and then walked around town easily.