Please state country to which your post applies

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by vbroucek, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have found that most of the threads/posts here and in AMEX forum on FT are irrelevant to me, being located in Australia. Can we somehow clearly mark country to which thread applies? It would make much easier to follow and to skip those posts that are irrelevant.

jbcarioca, Chimpy, David and 5 others like this.
  2. sofasurfer
    Original Member

sofasurfer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just about to post the same request!

As a Canadian resident (and now an MR-accumulator), it would be a LOT easier to be able to quickly identify what is and isn't relevant (and, possibly be search-friendly if we could agree some kind of standard practice)

Can I suggest country prefixes (as we're all travel-related acronym fans around here, and standards exist!) and maybe "WORLDWIDE" if it appears to be truly international... maybe also NAM. EUR, APAC if it's region-specific?

Would this be something that we could make consistent across MP, if something workable could be identified and agreed upon? That would be awesome - and really add value to what is, truly, an international community...

jbcarioca and vbroucek like this.
  3. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would go further than saying it could be established. It needs to be established and sorted ASAP.

4. Disco Volante
    Original Member

Disco Volante Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good idea.

5. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, since it had often been a problem for me. The rules and benefits can even be different between Canada and USA. (But some posts may be relevant to more than one country, and some may be common to many.)

6. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it is always difficult to judge.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. brobbel

brobbel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. European cards has other options too. And even between countries in Europe there are differences!

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, but why is that surprising?

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    why don't we just assume that all posts refer to USA cards unless otherwise stated in the post? the vast, VAST majority of cards talked about on here originate from the States.

jbcarioca and FlashBack like this.
  10. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    But there is a reason for that - and adopting such an approach would only result in it becoming an even more self fulfilling prophecy.

There is a reason why hardly any of the UK card stuff that has been going on recently was posed in the credit cards section of 'the other site'. Nobody ever bothered posting them in the credit card section, and certainly no discussion took place there, because the place was so over run with US cards, and US card holders posting (on clearly prefixed UK threads!) that the offer in question was "UK only, ignore". etc.

Given that credit cards are generally only open to people resident in each country, I'd strongly support creating country specific sections. Start with US, if you think there is enough, and also UK - as I certainly think there is enough. [Canada? someone tell me, I don't know, credit cards are so country specific that I only know the countries I live in.]

Then, have an 'other countries' section - where people should prefix their threads. When sufficient threads appear, we can create a section (and boot the existing ones across if need be).

Seriously, there have been plenty of UK credit card topics currently, but on 'the other site' they were all covered as OT in the BA and BMI sections (despite not being BA or BMI cards at all necessarily!), just because nobody used the credit cards sections, as it was rather fevourishly US centric.

There is nothing more annoying than seeing good offers you don't qualify for, and (as I said above) credit cards are generally so country specific, that I think we should start with country sections (and have an 'other countries' section).

sofasurfer, jbcarioca and vbroucek like this.
  11. FlashBack
    Original Member

FlashBack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone that has any common sense would have already assumed this.

jbcarioca and mrredskin like this.
  12. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    self fulfilling prophecy? seriously?!?! haha.

I agree a subforum would be advantageous within the CC forum for international cards.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    'No prefix for US because majority will be US' - yeah.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not going to go on a ".de" site and tell people they should preface every thread with whether it pertains to German or not.

15. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    If this was a .us site, you would have a point.

And given that it is a site covering international travel, then if you don't want non-US people, you are going to have a HECK of a lot less people actually answering many questions...

This site is new. The question is do you want it to be well designed, or suffer the same problems that have affected othersites. [With no ideal home for certain content.]

jbcarioca and antirealist like this.
  16. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Typical arrogant yankee... Get real, going to .com site does not mean that is is US based and for US residnets any more. And has not been for several years now...

jbcarioca, antirealist and David like this.
  17. 21h21j

21h21j Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 for country specific credit card sub-forums. I have as much interest in seeing US deals as mrredskin has of seeing UK deals [​IMG]

jbcarioca, antirealist and David like this.
  18. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    arrogant? because i fall into the same category as most of the other users on this site (American)? Quit being a dolt. forgive us for not catering to your every desire. this isn't the only site in the world that has credit card offers.

19. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    It sounds like an International CC subforum would be easy to start with and go from there.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    To me, 'International Credit Cards', would be products available to people internationally, these are rare - especially loyalty paying. [Things such as the ICC cards from Amex, etc.]

And why don't we try to structure it logically from the start?
    E.g.
    Credit Card Programs:
    - US
    - - Amex
    - - Other Programs
    - Canada
    - United Kingdom
    - Other Countries.

Or, if people want to see the volume of posts first, then start with just:
    Credit Card Programs
    - US
    - - Amex
    - - Other Programs
    - Other Countries

21h21j and jbcarioca like this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have had a decent few weeks of pleasant and congenial conversations here at milepoint. if your desire is to be rude chauvinistic and aggressive please go somewhere else.

Many of us do not live in the US and have American express cards from other countries some of which are countries franchised by American express entirely. Others have American Express cards issued by banks, not the parent company. We definitely need a way to distinguish better these factors IMO. After all the offers are not the same.

22. Disco Volante
    Original Member

Disco Volante Silver Member

Status Points:
    That wasn't the category that immediately came to mind.

jbcarioca, vbroucek and antirealist like this.
  23. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    direct your comment to the individual that started the "name calling" there bub, as well. it runs both ways.