Please post your Successful (or not) BMI DC award redemption bookings (2011 version)

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please share with the rest of us your successful or successful experiences with booking award travel through Diamond Club. If you have been unsuccessful in booking your award travel, let us know what you're trying to accomplish and someone on the thread may be able to lend some advice and provide alternative solutions.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I quite easily found JFK-LAX-BKK in C on UA ps and TG. For the return we have BKK-HND-LAX-JFK in C on TG/NH/UA.

My wife might be bailing on the trip in which case I'll be refunding one of the tickets and looking for something else to book rather quickly so the points don't convert.

3. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked CPH-ZRH-DEL on SK/LX and KTM-BKK-FRA-WAW on TG/LO (with a stopover in BKK) in C without hassle a while ago.
    Unforunately, KTM-BKK-ARN had no availability although seeing an open I-class in my Amadeus CRS :(

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Really simple and straightforward, and I booked this before 2011 but in a couple of weeks will do a very straightforward cash + points redemption one-way SIN-BKK-HKT on TG. So 7500 miles, not bad for one-way business class! Gotta love the value proposition. :)

Margaret likes this.
  5. lallyr
    Original Member

lallyr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't complain for value for money on that one huh! [​IMG]

6. Margaret
    Original Member

Margaret Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't flown for a while but will be booking VERY soon. I think a good idea would be to do as the poster above did and post cash and points taken for new bookings and then we shall see the difference when we join miles and more.

7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:

Which carrier are you wanting to fly for KTM BKK ARN????? I may have a couple of ideas there.

8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:

I'm thinking over the next few weeks we may see redemption "costs" go up in terms of miles. Seeing how BMI did not grandfather their recent changes, I'm thinking they may not give much if any advance notice on a change in redemption tables. And if they're lining up behind M+M, we may see a significant change in how many miles a redemption will cost. Am wondering if it makes sense to make bookings for trips now just to get them on the books since you can always change dates/itineraries later, of course contingent on flight availability.

9. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked two TG F award tickets FRA-BKK with cash&miles to clear out my BMI account.

NewbieRunner likes this.
  10. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to fly it on TG (I know, the crappy old F sold as C :D)

11. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OK, I was thinking that you could have flown LX 181 from BKK to ZRH and then connect on to ARN, and if on LX, their "I" seats are usually limited at first, but they slowly free them up as you get nearer departure. On an upcoming trip, I had booked the initial trip in october, not see LX "I" but have since been able to get "I" seats as I get closer to travel date. If you'd like, you can call BMI DC area and ask for Andrew, or send an email and put "attn: andrew" as part of your subject. He has been fantastic in helping me find great combinations.,

12. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Booked FRA-MCO oneway for the end of Feb in LH C with cash+miles.

13. MAN to ABQ via FRA and DEN, LH biz-first-UA First and back. Shade over 130,000 miles and £40O in tax. Justified it to the wife as the same cash as economy ticket! No more miles left though :-(

Will be made up if the 747 across the pond has had the first refit but not hopeful as I'm travelling in May....

14. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    TAX question.

I'm planning on booking a trip, and looking at ITA breakdown for taxes, it lists YQ taxes twice ($230 x2) , is the tax separate per outbound and in bound? Never paid much attention to it til now. Planning it for "I" for GRR-FCO

15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Booked GRR-FCO x2 in "I" (Biz) flying LH all around except GRR-ORD (on UA). 380 pounds sterling per ticket in taxes/etc. Seemed a bit high in the tax dept. but its LH and that is to be expected I guess. Paying Z or full fare biz would be far more expensive so who am I to argue.

George did a wonderful job and had my itinerary assembled in about 15 minutes, with a call back 30 minutes later with tax info. Great experience as always!

16. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Booked MCO-FRA on Feb28 in LH C with cash&miles.

17. Diamond Club have confirmed that any integration into M&M will not take place in 2011 and that they are still deciding how and when to merge the two programs. Also, they will be introducing an ability to upgrade paid tickets with miles.

If you can see availability for the trips you want, book them now. The tiny cancellation fee makes that a worthwhile option.

18. How or if to merge...

More specifically, paid Star Alliance partner tickets in qualifying fare classes. It's already possible to upgrade bmi booked and operated fares using an extortionate amount of miles. ;)

19. Ah the equivalent of teacher getting out his red pen! GC is of course right.

I think the 'if to merge' aspect is right in so far as LH might get bored of owning bmi and sell it on. If it is to stay in the LH family long term, then surely it's a question of when to merge.

20. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My concern is that they may raise redemption requirements for award tickets. I figured its easier to spend 75k for a Z fare vs. a higher number if they decide to alter their mile requirements for tickets

21. RAPC
    Original Member

RAPC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well Joanna has confirmed that no changes to the redemption tables or redemption amounts are planned or expected. This is in the context as the same news as no changes to DC in 2011, so I wouldn't worry too much about an increase in award milage costs for a little while yet.

22. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:

That would be great. What triggered my concern initially was the release earlier this week where it stated: "in the next 3 weeks we will provide more information (or something to that effect)". Glad that things will stay pretty much the same. Why mess with a good thing.

23. hazinheira

hazinheira Active Member

Status Points:
    due to a very uncertain appoinment in LIS in May, decided to use miles + cash (therefore being able to make any changes for only £20, if needed):
    1 pax

BRU-LIS-BRU (TP X+I) in May
    7500 miles + £176.9
    Done by the very professional Naman in 15 mins.
    Available at checkmytrip immediately after.

24. hazinheira

hazinheira Active Member

Status Points:
    Booked for 2 pax, starting on April 21:

BRU-LIS-NAT (stopover) TP I
    NAT-SSA JJ X
    SSA-GIG (stopover) JJ X
    GIG-GRU JJ X
    GRU-MAD-BRU JJ I & SN I

for 37500 miles + £584.1 (£255 + £324.6 + £4.5)

Taxes matched my calculations (used ITA).
    I first checked availability for all segments and was then able to lead Daryl to book all the desired flights. This was done in 20 mins. However, had to call a couple more of times before having the eTKT issued.

UPDATE: had to call again to request a change in date for one of the segments. Next day, found that the leg LIS-NAT had disappeared and called again. Luckily there were still 2 seats available in I and now the most recent version of the eTKT is ok.

GBM likes this.
  25. sofasurfer
    Original Member

sofasurfer Silver Member

Status Points:
    A pal booked the following (with some ANA-fu and pre-call ICC coaching from me :)):

outbound:
    LHR-YUL-YTZ AC Y
    (stopover)
    YYZ-YYC-YVR AC J

return:
    YVR-SFO AC J
    (stopover)
    SFO-CLE-EWR-MXP CO J
    MXP-ZRH-LHR LX J

He's got an intentional 9.5 hour layover in EWR, so should be enough time for him to head in to Manhattan for lunch and have a quick sightsee :)
    The ~6 hour layover at MXP wasn't intended, married segments seem to be in force here, as there's much better timed flights back to LHR that the ICC refused to acknowledge exist :(

Miles and cash booking, total was 31250 miles + £779.63 in fees/taxes - it seems like they've only charged the outbound for a Y redemption. But when he called to make the initial booking, he got another routing YYZ-YVR which was in Y but they wouldn't process as they insisted he had passport # etc and once he got home from work, they said the seats had gone... so I'm not sure what to read in to this. Goodwill gesture, ICC SNAFU, or they've gone back to ticketing longest leg (which I doubt!)