Please help with strategy to afford a ticket for +1 for international travel (ORD-IST-DIY )

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by ChiUndSim, Nov 19, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. ChiUndSim

ChiUndSim New Member

Status Points:
    I have an existing reservation I used United miles for to fly roundtrip to visit parents in Tajikistan (ORD-IST-DYU) on Turkish Airlines. Saved miles , looked for good timing, found saver awards (1/2 price in miles) , booked business. Trip is in April of 2016

All great, but now I am thinking on whether or not it would be possible to bring my 4 year old daughter with me for first international trip outside of visits to Canada.

Questions - given that my original reservation was through United and I am flying Turkish Airlines, what are my options? I can not search for tickets for 4 year old as she would not be able to fly without an adult/parent. I can call United and cancel the existing award and use the same miles for two of us in coach. anything else? I already have Chase Saphire Preferred and United Mileage Plus Card so I can not re-apply for them.

Would any other Sky Alliance member would be able to add my girl to my own reservation on Turkish (i.e. does it worth looking at Aeroplan and associated signup bonuses and transfer partners)? or am I limited only to ticket issuer and flight carrier? I have some United Miles but is short 140k for another business class ticket :). Excellent credit, limited existing credit cards..

Thank you for any suggestions

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can find another Star Alliance partner to issue a ticket on the same flights then that shouldn't be a problem. But it would need to be in the same cabin. And finding the award inventory is often just as challenging as scrounging up the points for the award. It would be a separate ticket/award but that should not be a problem with both of you on the same plane.

3. ChiUndSim

ChiUndSim New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. is there a good tool for this? I have the dates of my original *currently scheduled* flights but I do not know who else Turkish Airlines opened that inventory to..

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aeroplan, United, ANA and LifeMiles all have decent websites for searching award space. And they should all see the same inventory as each other for Turkish-operated flights.

iolaire likes this.