1. miwhaln2

miwhaln2 New Member

Status Points:
    I need to see my family who I haven't seen in 10 years

daninstl likes this.
  2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing you don't have frequent flier miles available? How's your credit, and how much do you typically spend on credit cards? Are you willing to apply for some credit cards to get some miles?

Assuming not, look at alternate airports and flexible dates. A tool like Kayak or ITA's matrix may help. I'm seeing the best fares returning on January 1 (~$475, mostly on UA, mix of airports) and the absolute best fare I'm seeing is $405 on Virgin, out Christmas day, return 12/31, LAX-EWR. You could then take Amtrak from EWR to Philly. These are not great fares, but they're probably about as good as you're going to see - I'd hop on them.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    daninstl likes this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint miwhaln2. I'm guessing you don't fly much or don't have any miles or points to use. If that is the case you can follow advice on Milepoint as a whole in order to build up miles through various methods that you can redeem for a flight to PHL.

OR....
    Go to Google and enter LAX-PHL and a list of flights will pop up that will show you what is the cheapest route to fly. Then adjust the dates you want and book it with a credit card or pay cash at the airport. The example below is for Saturday 10-18-14 and Spirit is the cheapest. Be careful though because these prices don't include baggage fee's and extras. Some airlines add more to the ticket price than others. Also try to book the flight further out for a cheaper price. I would suggest 21 days out at least although sometimes a last minute flight can be found for a cheap price. Good luck.

For example right now:
    Flights from Los Angeles to Philadelphia   Google Search.png

traveltoomuch likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please don't buy your ticket at the airport unless you have no other choice. Additional substantial fees will be added (by at least most airlines), you'll stand in line and have to pay for parking or airport transportation. If you don't buy the ticket very soon after finding flights and prices you lke, you risk having to pay much more.

5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The advise is good, but do you have any tickets, or spare miles.

It's Christmas time.

Anyone with miles expiring.