Please help! Krisflyer Audit

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by meadows6, Nov 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. meadows6

meadows6 New Member

Status Points:
    I just received this email from Singapore Airlines:

During our random audit check we noticed that your accruals were made
    differently from the name sequence in your KrisFlyer (KF) Name Profile.

We would like to highlight that your KF Name Profile sequence is as
    follows:

Family Name: taken out for anonymity*
    Given Name:

However, we noticed your recent transfer of mileage accrual transactions
    were accrued under name as shown below:

Family Name:
    Given Name:
    Date of Transaction: this fall*
    Non-Air Partner: American Express USA
    Number of KrisFlyer Miles: over 100k*

The accruals were flagged out as "Name Mismatch" against your KF Profile
    Name. .

Pooling of miles is strictly prohibited under the KrisFlyer Membership
    Programme. In the event above KrisFlyer miles do belong to you, please
    provide us the copy of your bank statement to support the claim and send
    it to our email address via
    facsimile but if not belong to you, Singapore Airlines
    reserves the right to remove ineligible miles from your account.

The ineligible equivalent bank points will be returned to the original
    credit cardholder and to facilitate the return of the miles back to the
    bank, we would request for the MR numbers of all the persons who had
    transferred their miles to your KrisFlyer account.

If you have any queries on this please do not hesitate to call or e-mail
    us.

I don't know how to handle this. I didn't know that you couldn't share miles with a spouse. I used a mile/trip booking service and he advised me to ignore this email. Said he's never had this happen and never had any clients audited with kris flyer.

How should I proceed? Get my husband to add me as an authorized user to his amex plat. for the $175 or whatever it is and send a copy of my name on the account (in the hopes it doesn't show join date)? Ignore? Email back explaining we are a married couple it's a family trip and basically plead ignorance?

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have only seen this from Singapore once before, not something that usually comes up, but this isn't the first-ever time I've heard of it.

Why not transfer the points to your husband's Singapore account (open one), and redeem from there?

Opening an American Express card in your name on your husband's account will let you link your Singapore account to his Membership Rewards account.

Slow_Mustang likes this.
  3. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. meadows6

meadows6 New Member

Status Points:
    I used my chase points, my husbands chase points and his membership rewards to buy 4 business class seats for our family for next summer. I transferred all the points into my krisflyer account (my husband doesn't have one).

5. meadows6

meadows6 New Member

Status Points:
    So if I get added as an authorized user to my husbands card will they still cancel the tickets that were bought with his membership reward points and make us try to rebook? I'm afraid of losing our seats together. And someone possibly not getting on the same flight. We have two young kids. Or do you think getting added as an authorized user is enough and I can just show them proof of that and they will leave it alone.

6. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being an authorized user on his account should help with the amex. I'd say it's worth trying.

7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    It sounds like a legitimate family use. I'd just tell them the truth. It looks like they are saying the worse that will happen is the points will go back to your husbands account.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me, it sounds irresponsible for the award ticket booking service to tell the OP to ignore the email from SQ.

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious which ATB service it was so we can grab the pitchforks and the tar. ;)

10. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that tip Gary, had not occurred to me.
    -

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  11. meadows6

meadows6 New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you everyone for all of your replies.

There are no points in my krisflyer account. All points that were moved in were used for these four business class tickets(with one ticket first class for one leg). So there's nothing for them to send back to Amex, unless, obviously, they cancel some of the tickets and send the points back to Amex.

Slow Mustang is correct. It is not an even split of tickets with those Amex points.

Strange thing is, I moved his UR points from his chase sapphire and biz card over, but there was no mention of those being an issue in Krisflyers email.

The award booking service found the four seats when a couple other services I contacted were unable to do it. They were quick to respond and very detailed with how it would work. Yes, I was told to dump all my husbands and my miles into my krisflyer account. I said I don't really feel comfortable with ignoring the email, because my worst cause scenario is the cancel all tickets and I don't even get a chance to plead my case and see if they will work with me. The booking service is looking into things now and I'm hoping to hear back soon.

I'm just thinking I won't make much headway with the singapore reps. Unless I do my best to push it up the chain and hope for a sympathetic ear.

Frustration since if their answer is to cancel the tickets that included Amex points from my husband, move the points back to Amex, open kris flyer for him, move points back in, and then try to book the tickets again; it's a lot of steps and work for the same end result. Considering with krisflyer you are able to use miles for bookings for up to 5 designated people anyway. And of course, if I did all those steps I'm sure the seats would be gone by the that time, as many of you mentioned.

iolaire and Slow_Mustang like this.
  12. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does your name match your husband's name? I'd guess it doesn't and they thought there was some sort of sale of points. I would hope that they see inter family transfers as something they would be ok with. However still it would help for you to become an authorized user on his account and keep that as a backup.

Also just be careful about posting publicly about this, if you do lie or distort the truth to them there is always the chance that they do a Google search and find this page...

(I personally would always be honest, nothing you described is sketchy...)

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that cancellation of the tickets should not happen. If you obtained the miles in your account (or issued tickets from your account) in a way that violated rules of the SQ FF program (or violated any rules of the credit cards that were the source of the miles), SQ would be well within its rights to cancel the tickets and, in fact, this would be a standard reaction by an airline FF program.

The fact that you apparently don't fly much if any on SQ and (I suspect) just opened the account and then filled it with credit card miles transfers doesn't make you a regular or long term SQ customer in any way. Frankly, SQ has no reason to bend their rules in this case.

IMO you should have verified the program rules yourself before blindly taking the award booking service advice to transfer miles into the SQ program, although I would hope that a good and reputable award booking service would be aware of such rules.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  14. meadows6

meadows6 New Member

Status Points:
    Yes, same last name. All four of us share the same last name. If they were different, then I wouldn't have worried as much.

I do realize posting all this info leaves it open for singapore to see, but I'm desperate and was hoping someone who had dealt with the same issue would be able to help. But you're right. I've been honest here and I don't know what I would say to singapore that would be different.

iolaire likes this.
  15. meadows6

meadows6 New Member

Status Points:
    Frankly, I was using the award booking service so I didn't have to spend the time combing through various program rules and intricacies. It was to save the time and get the most out of my miles. And of course if I knew you couldn't pool a spouses points into your own account, I would have just gone with another airline and called it a day. Or more simply, just opened a kris flyer account for my husband!

16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might want to look carefully at the statement of services provided by your award booking service. Some of them seem to literally just find award space for you while others seem to suggest a consulting role in advising you of the best strategies to use with points and miles covering different programs. If they told you to transfer the points/miles from your husband's credit card into your account it's different than if you just told them your miles and points balances by account and didn't enumerate who was the owner of record on each account.

Please name the award booking service and tell us how much you paid for their advice.

17. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You do have the option to edit your posts and delete some or all of the contents. Then only the responses will be available for others to read.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    meadows6 likes this.
  18. meadows6

meadows6 New Member

Status Points:
    It was the latter. I was given very specific instructions on what to do and I gave all our point balances and which one of us they belonged to. I am not going to name name's until I give them a chance to get this sorted out.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is certainly no obligation to reveal anything.

On the other hand, this forum is meant to help us share and learn, and I for sure find this thread helpful as a potential future ABS customer (I can't really share much insight here, so I am following it to learn). And I don't think it would be inappropriate to mention the name of the service. It's a business, after all, just like SQ or the banks involved in this thread.

20. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A business that she is still dealing with and who is trying to help her resolve the issue.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    A business that already dealt with the issue by advising the OP to ignore the email.

If the OP had booked a revenue trip with the likes of Orbitz or Expedia and run into problems, would you think it would be inappropriate to mention the travel agent?

Flyer1976 and skyvan like this.
  22. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I respect OP's choice.
    The thread has veered off course.