Please help by recommending lounges for my 1st class *A mini-RTW

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by vike, Jan 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. vike
    Original Member

vike Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am new to *A. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get in selecting the best lounges for my F *A trip USA to Asia with stops in Europe.
    Several legs are business (1st not available). Here is my itinerary:

ORD - MUC LH 1st --> best departure lounge? is an arrivals lounge available?
    3 day stopover
    MUC - FRA LH Bus --> no access to FCL?
    FRA - ICN OZ 1st --> best departure lounge?
    ICN - HKG OZ Bus --> OZ 1st class lounge possible?
    3 days (destination)
    HKG - BKK TG 1st --> best departure lounge?
    1 day stopover (22 hrs)
    BKK - CDG TG 1st --> TG spa lounge!7 day stopover
    CDG - FRA LH Bus --> best departure lounge?
    FRA - ORD LH 1st --> FCT or FCL?

I've read several threads that leave me confused about what I might or might not have access to on this ticket. Thanks in advance for all help in planning this out.

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. I don't think there is an Arrivals Lounge in MUC.
    2. You will only have access to the Senator lounge.
    3. Not sure about the best departure lounge at HKG.

3. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    In HKG you have a choice between SQ, TG, and UA lounges.

SQ's is best for food selection and there is champagne, but there's no view whatsoever and no toilets inside the lounge. Also, it is located very far from TG gates although there is an automated people mover to take you to the gate.

UA's is also good with somewhat ok food selection and nice views of the tarmac. Toilets and showers inside the lounge too. It's close to TG gates.

TG's is a very nice lounge, with a nice selection of food (although still a notch below the offerings at the SQ lounge). Nice views of the tarmac and there are toilet/shower facilities inside the lounge. It is the closest lounge to the TG gates.

In conclusion, in your case, I would just use the TG lounge. SQ lounge is nice for the food and champagne, but it's a bit of an inconvenience not to have a toilet inside and you'll need to leave early too to allow time to get to the gate.

iolaire likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find the SQ lounge at HKG to be disappointing. It's very beige and brown with no discernible style or design to it's decor. The windowlessness makes it feel like the walls are closing in, almost cavelike; perhaps the problems that the ceiling is low. IIRC there is a separate but otherwise similar seating area reserved for FC, but not separate or different food.

OY-JFS likes this.
  5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there is a separate section 'reserved' for F and R pax only, although this doesn't seem to be enforced. Also it's the furthest section from the food area so seems like nobody would choose to sit there. I agree that the SQ lounge is disappointing in terms of ambience, but I think it's the best among the *G lounges in terms of food offerings.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to request a day room at the Kempinski from the LH folks.

You get access to the SEN lounge. That's it.
    I happen to like the TG lounge better than the SQ or UA options, though that is based mostly on experiencing it when it is not at all crowded because the TG flights aren't departing then. I have no idea how bad it gets when a TG flight is departing, but it is pretty big so I'm betting they can handle it. There are photos of the UA, SQ and TG lounges here: http://www.wandr.me/Lounges.aspx/Hong-Kong-Intl (HKG)/.

Spa. :cool:
    There is just the one, I belive.
    Some will say FCT. I'd just go with the FCL unless you have way more time than you know what to do with.

tondoleo likes this.
  7. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    In HKG, I prefer the TG lounge, except for morning flights, as the breakfast IMO is better in the next door UA lounge.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not a fan of the SQ lounge at HKG. It looks old fashioned, with too much nondescript beige and brown and what seem like low ceilings, so that it's a bland cave.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The beige doesn't bother me so much from the SQ lounge but the darkness and cave-like layout do. I've got some photos of it here.