Please help a newbie with award booking with Continental

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by traveler, Jun 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would like to make a one way partner reward ticket (mostly on Lufthansa) with Continental. The problem is the final leg is a one-hour flight on United Express. United Express doesn’t release award seats for about 2 weeks after Lufthansa and I don’t want to chance losing seat availability on Lufthansa. Is it possible to waitlist (not sure if this is the correct term) the final flight, and if so what number at Continental do I call. The listed numbers on their web sight leave me perplexed. The flights will originate in Dubrovnik connect through Germany and my final destination is in California. There seems to be good availability on Continental.com. I do not have any status but availability for 2 June 2011 flights should be released in a few days. Thanks for any help or advice, Traveler- If I have to I can only book to LAX and then take the train home :(

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suggest you book the part that you can and wait to make a change later, adding on the United Express segment. It might cost you a change fee if you're not 1K, but you'll confirm the legs you really need.

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would try calling the international reservations number (800.231.0856) and explain what you are looking for. Remember to call back if the first service agent fails you. This will give you a better opportunity for satisfactory results.

phsu, MyMiles&Points and traveler like this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    If in a worst-case scenario you're willing to accept the award without the final segment, book it now. Without the segment. Change fee without status is just $75.

There's always a chance of course that the flight you have your eye on doesn't open up award seats. If you book it, and the flight you want doesn't open up, you will be faced with the choice of (1) keeping it as-is without the final segment (maybe you'd just buy that segment?), (2) changing everything to different flights (3) cancelling the award entirely and paying a redeposit fee.

To me, if I saw everything I wanted except a final United Express segment, I'd probably be willing to book it to lock in those segments and be willing to pay a change fee or even buy the segment I needed later.

phsu, MyMiles&Points and traveler like this.
  5. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agreed. I've heard people having success with the agent putting them on hold and contacting the other airline individually to try to manually release a seat. As suggested, you can always buy that final shuttle flight or even take a different airline if you want a stopover city :)

6. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the replies; I ended up just booking awards flights back to LAX. I am going to grab a one way rental car to get home. Seems about the simplest solution (as long as I am not too jetlagged to drive).

phsu and MSPeconomist like this.
  7. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to figure out which OO destination is within driving distance of LAX that has a 2-class cabin, but I'm not as familiar with OO via LAX as I am via SFO.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This might be a good time to grab another stay credit in one of the hotel programs.

traveler likes this.