Please help a first time flyer!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Sanjeev George, Nov 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sanjeev George

Sanjeev George Member

Status Points:
    I'll be flying from India to Sri Lanka, then Sri Lanka to UAE soon for the first time ever.

Can someone please help me as to what will be the procedure step by step from the time I arrive at the airport in general...check in, boarding pass, etc? What are the formalities to be fulfilled? And when I land, what is expected of me at the airport?

NYCUA1K likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you staying in Sri Lanka and leaving the airport there or just connecting through?

You will need a printed copy of your itinerary to enter the terminal in India. You will show that paper at the door and then go inside the building where your luggage will be run through an x-ray machine. Collect it and then queue at the counter for your airline to complete check-in and baggage-check. From there you will head to the immigration facilities where you will speak to the Indian officials and get your passport stamped indicating that you've left India. From there you go to the gate area where you wait for the flight to board and then depart. Note that in all of the above the queues will likely be ridiculous and chaotic.

If you are connecting in Sri Lanka and not leaving the airport you will remain in the terminal and then eventually go to your new gate and get on the plane again. If you are remaining in Sri Lanka you have to go through immigration on arrival. Depending on what nationality you have on the passport you carry you may need to purchase a visa to visit and then go through the immigration queue. After you pass out of immigration you collect your bags and then pass through customs. The arrivals hall in Colombo is actually pretty decent.

If you are just connecting on to UAE then you'll have the immigration and customs formalities when you arrive there rather than in Sri Lanka. Also, if you are flying on separate airlines for the two segments that may confuse things.

NYCUA1K and boondr like this.
  3. Sanjeev George

Sanjeev George Member

Status Points:
    @ Wandering Aramean Thanks so much for the reply.
    I will be leaving from Bangalore and connecting in Colombo for 21 hours, and will be arriving in Sharjah.
    On departure, I am leaving from Dubai and connecting at Doha for 3 hours before I arrive at Bangalore.
    Any advice?

Also, what is the difference if I check in Online and if I check in only at the airport?

wander

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Checking in online can save you a lot of time, especially if you have an economy ticket for a flight that is full; things are even simpler if you do not have any luggage to check. However, for international flights, you will need to have your travel documents checked by the operating airline, so, therefore, you will need to still check in at the airport and thus may still find yourself in a long queue if you are in economy and the flight is full.

Speaking of documents, please make sure that you find out what type of visa, if any, you will need to be able to enter UAE. Visa requirements are generally by bilateral agreements between individual counties or group of countries, so one must find out on a case per case basis.

Good luck!